No announcement yet.

I want to move out but I don't know if I can

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to move out but I don't know if I can

    I'm currently 17 & live with my mom, she kicked my dad out & he moved to Monroe North Carolina to live with my uncle, my mom has had a drug problem my whole life but claims to be sober now but has her moments. My dad & I don't have that close of a relationship but he does try to see me when he can, the bills are constantly never paid so I'm forced to live without water sometimes & sometimes even electricity. My mom is also on probation & that also has to do with her drug problems,everyone who sees what goes on from the outside of the house tells me I need to get out & I'm scared to do anything about it. I know I need to get away & I have a place to go, i just dont know what to do.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have been facing and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. Does your dad have any custody over you or would be willing to get custody of you so you can get out? If you want to talk to somebody about transferring custody or to report the neglect, you can reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 to ask those questions.

    You also mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your mom could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through any of the options listed above with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). It could also change the way your case is handles if there is seen or reported to be abuse or neglect in the home.

    Let us know if you want to talk through any of these options or want help calling out to the police or Child Help.

    Stay safe,

    Last edited by ccsmod1; 08-19-2018, 01:31 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp