No announcement yet.

US Arizona kid and Canada British-C child want to move in with 18yr old foster parent

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • US Arizona kid and Canada British-C child want to move in with 18yr old foster parent

    So, I met these two friends on the internet and we became really really close. They get abused a lot at home, and I don't want the two to keep having their moms whale on them. They have a sibling relationship with each other, and feel and parenthood towards me. I could go on about each's mental state, anorexia, schizophrenia, etc. But they want to move in with me really bad and there parents would never allow it, ones not even allowed to have friends and the other has a overprotective mom who uh, isn't very nice to say the least.

    But we're all very close and have known each other for a while. They still can't tell there parents about me (my age

  • #2
    It's awesome that you are trying to support your friends. It sounds like you are already a good source of support, that they can count on you as someone who listens to them, and that's important as well.

    Here are a couple of things to consider. Since there's abuse at home, they can consider child abuse reporting. If they want to explore what that looks like without committing to anything, they can call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 anonymously. The staff there are mandated reporters, but if they don't give their name, but just describe their situation, the staff can walk them through what next steps look like.

    We are not legal experts, but it's never illegal to run away. It's a status offense, which means that if guardians file a runaway report, police's job is to return youth to their guardians. Guardians have to file that runaway report, though, and sometimes youth live elsewhere, when guardians just don't file, so you guys could consider if that's applicable in this case at all.

    Also, even if a runaway report is filed, it doesn't necessarily mean that police will find the youth. Runaways have a right to continue in school, according to the McKinney Vento act. Also, police pursue different runaway cases differently. They may not pursue some aggressively, for example, if the youth is close to the age of 18.

    The only legal concern might be harboring a runaway. Our understanding is that this is only prosecuted when youth are being hidden, or the person who they are staying with doesn't cooperate with police.

    Also, please think about caring for yourself in this situation. It's awesome that you are providing a source of support. If they do come stay with you, though, consider having people you can reach out to who can support you emotionally, and/or with advice. Think what them living with you would look like and what you might need. Think about what a fall back plan might look like, just in case it doesn't work out quite the way you expect.

    But again it's wonderful that you are trying to support your friends as best you can. We hope this info is helpful.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp