No announcement yet.

Can I move out of my house at 16 when only one of my parents consent?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I move out of my house at 16 when only one of my parents consent?

    my parents are divorced and i live with my dad and step mom. my mom lives a long ways away. my dad verbally abuses me and manipulates me often, to the point where i've fallen into a very dark place mentally. i can't move away from this town with my mom though, I have too many connections here. i discussed the situation with my mom and she said as a last resort she'd be willing to rent an apartment for me to live in here, because i don't want her to move here and leave a really good job she has in the city she lives in (i feel like that would be selfish of me and would feel very guilty). i've gotten sad enough here to start thinking about asking to do that, but i know my dad and step mom would never support it. what can i do to make this happen, if anything? is this even plausible?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about how you have been treated at home, and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your dad files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your dad to let you live on your own or to express your feelings or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You could look into emancipation in your state and that would allow you to live somewhere else. You also would have the option of abuse reporting. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.


    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp