Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you considered a runaway if you are initially kicked out but asked to come back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi, there! Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to listen, and we are here to help. We are so sorry to learn that your mom has kicked you out. It must be difficult to feel as though you have nowhere to go. Your fear is understandable.

It sounds like you are saying that you would call the cops to help you regain entry to your mom’s house, correct? First, we are not legal experts. However, we can inform you about what we know by way of our experience and what we have read about. If you are under the age of 18, not emancipated, and your mom kicks you out, this can be considered abandonment. Check out this article below for more details: https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/l...of-their-home/. Even if you were above the age of majority, while it looks like things vary more, it is clear is that one has to go through the court system to evict a relative. So, it seems like, no matter your age, your mom is in the wrong. Check out this article for more details: https://www.nhregister.com/realestat...s-12459052.php. The police may be helpful in helping you to regain entry. However, it is understandable if you believe they won’t help due to something she may say or deny. You know your situation best; we just want to provide information that perhaps you did not know about.

Another concern you raised is fears of returning to the foster system. Did you have a pretty good relationship with your case manager? Perhaps they could help to answer any questions or concerns you may have overall?
    Please know that if you ever find yourself without shelter, there are many agencies who may be able to help. If you get to a point where you need somewhere to stay, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to find youth shelters, United Way 211 by dialing 211 or using this website: https://www.211.org/, or check out a website called Homeless Shelter Directory (https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/).

We invite you to call (1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929) or chat with us today (https://www.1800runaway.org/)! Hang in there! Your situation does sound difficult. However, you are doing an awesome job advocating for yourself and looking for help.

Best,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod9; 11-25-2022, 04:36 AM.

Guest replied
    Im 15 in oregon. My mom kicked me out and so now im trying to figure out where to go. but ik if i call the cops my mom will deny everything and i will get in huge trouble and lose everything. Im confused and scared of going back into the foster system. what do i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out. It sounds like your mom has been abusive in a variety of ways, which you never deserve to be treated that way. It also sounds like she kicked you out, but is now telling you to come back. If your mom were to file a runaway report and you were found by police, you would likely be brought back home, but your mom kicking you out in the first place is considered neglect since you are a minor and could be reported to Child Protective Services. The other abuse and threats you are experiencing could be reported as well. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that you would be able to stay at your friends, the only people who can do that are either if your mom gives permission or CPS deems that it is okay if they were to investigate.
    If you would like to discuss this further with us, please call our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chats us online at 1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So I am 15. And my mom kicked me out after two days she texted me telling me to go back home or she will report me as a runaway. She is extremely controlling and really verbally and mentally abusive. She also use to be physical but lately she has been threatening me saying that she will fight me like a girl in the streets. Do I have to go back home? If I make a report that she kicked me out will I be able to continue staying at a friends house? Will I legally need to go back? Waht are my options?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story. We know that takes a lot of bravery.

We are very sorry to hear that your grandmother kicked you out. You deserve to live in a home where you feel loved. You and your bandmate did not do anything wrong. In just going to a marching band competition, you did not run away. You and your bandmate are not going to jail. In kicking you out, your grandmother is actually the one in the wrong given you are a minor and she is your legal guardian. If she decides to file a runaway report about you now, you will most likely be returned to her if the police find you. Though, there is chance you will not seeing as she kicked you out and you are staying with another family member.

Thank you again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Feel free to reach out again anytime by giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chatting with us on our website as we are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. Best of luck!

Guest replied
    I’m 16 in Georgia, I’ll be 17 in 142 days. My grandmother currently has custody of me. Ever since I started living with her, she has always told me how she doesn’t want me there and tells me that she needs to leave or she’s going to make me leave. Yesterday I went to my marching band competition, got a ride from a member of the band. She got aggressive when i arrived home and said she was reporting me as a runaway and that the person who gave me a ride (unbeknownst of her and the situation) is going to jail. She then proceeded to make me leave home and wouldn’t let me stay, having my mom come pick me up. I’m now at my moms house. I wasn’t gone overnight only for a couple hours, and she had been telling me to leave before then, and then she kicked me out. What is going to happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi, we're thankful you reached out. It sounds like you've been in a stressful situation for a pretty prolonged period of time. It sounds like you've been staying at your boyfriend's house because it feels safer-- both physically and emotionally. If your dad were to threaten to contact police that it was a kidnapping, you could contact your local law enforcement through their non-emergency and let them know that you are there voluntarily and are free to go if you wish.

Theoretically if your dad were to file a runaway report, police could potential try to return you home because they would have the legal right to, but if you are 17 and explain the abuse at home it is unlikely you would be forcibly returned there.

Please contact us again any time if you want to talk through anything more thoroughly. You can live chat with one of our team at 1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here to listen nonjudgmentally and help as best we can.
    Last edited by ccsmod10; 08-16-2022, 12:26 AM.

Guest replied
    if i get kicked out of the house by my dad can he call the police on my boyfriends mom claiming it was kidnapping i am 17 by the way and my household isnt the healthiest its very toxic and its not the first time my dad has threatened to kick me out not only that but he has a record for alcohol abuse duis domestic violence destruction of property and at some point my mom filed a restraining order against him but she ended up letting him live with us the entire time the restraining order was in place.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi. Thank you for reaching out to NRS, we know that it takes a lot of bravery to do that. At NRS, we are here for you, to talk through and come up with resources to help you in your situation. Technically, a runaway is someone, usually a minor, who has left their house without parental consent. Parents can file a runaway report for which the police are involved and if found you will be returned back home to your parent. It can be very difficult reporting to the cops about what is going on in the home and still not having anything change. You deserve only love and support from your family and those in your life. If you call or give us a chat, we can give you some resources on how to best navigate this situation such as alerting school staff about what is going on and allowing us to do a mediated call between you and your father if you think that is best. We can also discuss possible shelter options in the area, and though your parent will have to give consent it can still be an option we can talk through. We are here to support you and talk through options. We recognize that this must be very challenging but wish you nothing but the best. You are welcome to chat us through this website, or call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY). We are rooting for you.

Guest replied
    I’m 16 will be 17 in less than a month i lived in sc. my dad kicked me out but then reported me to the police as a run away. he was verbally abusive when i lived with him. i contacted the police the day after i got kicked out and told them. nothing happened. i was wondering what do i do. i have a safe place to stay food clothes access to all the essentials. but the police are looking for me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the way your mother and stepdad have treated you. You do not deserve to have him tell you to leave or especially push you out of the house. You have quite a few options, one being you could wait for the police to show up and tell them what your stepdad did, you could return home before the police show up, you could call your mom or sister and have someone pick you up. We empower you to make a decision that best ensures your safety and what you are comfortable with.

If you would like to talk further about the situation, we welcome you to reach out to us via chat, found on our website at www.1800runaway.org or give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We would be happy to provide one on one support for you.

Wishing you health, safety, and peace.

Warmly,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16, from Wisconsin I live in a really toxic household and after a huge fight with my mother, who pushed me repeatedly in an attempt to put me in my room. She accused me of shoving my 7yo. Sister by the head when my 2 younger brothers were there and said I didn’t do that. After I tried speaking to my mom after have had left me in the house alone. It blew up onto another fight and my step dad has pushed me out of the house with the door as I was standing in the door way and said “get the ******** out.” I was texting my sister and she said they were gonna call the police around 12:00am-1:00am and possibly say I’m a runway. I’m staying at a friends as of now. What do I do?
    I'm 17 in Georgia. My parents initially kicked me out but are now sending confusing texts alternating from saying I should come back to saying I need to find a

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out, it seems like a confusing situation at home. You don’t deserve to feel like you are being kicked out of your home like this and are unwelcome there in some way. Home should be a safe and supportive place for you to grow, not a conflict zone.
    Generally it is neglect on the part of your parents to physically remove you from the home and not allow you to re-enter. If they are simply verbally kicking you out, or saying “there’s the door” that usually does not do enough to prove neglect. Usually they need to physically remove, or prevent you from being safe in some way.
    So if you leave police might take your side, however your parents would be able to report you as a runaway if you do leave. Even if you have permission initially they can argue that they changed their minds. Being a Runaway is a status offence, so usually there are nearly no legal consequences long term other than police returning you back home.
    If you have more questions or need a safe place to stay, please reach back out by chat at www.1800runaway.org or call us directly at 1-800-786-2929.

Guest replied
    Hey I am 15 and my parents have kicked me out. Can I get in any legal trouble for leaving?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We really appreciate you reaching out. It sounds like the situation you are in right now is super complicated and difficult.

It is important to note that we are not legal experts. That being said, if your mom wants you to return home, then she can file a runaway report. If you are not allowed to live with your mom or aunt, then you could file an abuse report for neglect. Your mom is your legal guardian, so she is required to take care of you. It sounds like this option of returning home might not be what you want. Your situation sounds super difficult, so if you feel comfortable, you can call or chat with us to discuss more options. We are here to support you 24/7. You can contact NRS either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting online through 1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X