Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you considered a runaway if you are initially kicked out but asked to come back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

If you go to stay at someone's house without prior permission from your parents, they could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

If your parents kick you out of the home then it can be considered neglect and you can file a report with Child Protective Services. You can learn more about this by going to childhelp.org. Unfortunately, we cannot continue correspondence via email or forum past 3 interactions. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    My family is kicking me out. Can the people I stay with get in trouble for me staying with them?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It's very worrisome to hear that your grandma is not properly providing a safe home for you! Just so you know, as your legal guardian she has the responsibility to house you, and her failure to do so can be considered neglect. You have the right to report this to child protective services if you'd like. You can find out more about reporting by going to childhelp.org. We can also help you file a report if that is the route you are considering.

It may be beneficial to speak with your mom directly about your desire to live with her long term. Sometimes custody transfers will need to go through the family court system and it may be beneficial to speak with a legal advocate. If you need help locating a legal aid group near you you can check out https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    hi im 16 years old i live with my grandma who has had legal custody of me but she kicked me out because i called her out for being abusive and toxic im currently staying with my mom but she doesnt have custody of what do i do i dont wanna go back to my grandma but i need to figure out something

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My mother like kicked me out for the third time and reported me as a runaway, she’s abusive mentally and she used to be physically so I’m not going back but now the police are after me and since then I’ve been to my job and school, I’m just trying to get my life together but if I catch a case cause a got throw out I’m gonna be pissed! What the hell do I do? (I’m 16 btw)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. Asking for help isn’t easy and we’re glad you took that step. It sounds like you’re going through a tough time. You’re not alone. Your parents kicking you out of the house can be considered neglect because they are legally obligated to house you and care for you until you’re 18 years old. If you want to create an abuse report to document the situation, you can do so by calling Child Help USA at (800) 422- 4453 or you can call us at 1-800-786-2929 and we can help you file the report. You asked if you’re legally obligated to come back if your parents tell you to come home. We’re not legal experts here, but because your parents are the ones who kicked you out, they may not immediately file a runaway report so the authorities wouldn’t have a reason to look for you. However, if they do file a report and if you encounter the cops, they will most likely bring you back home. If you’d like to talk more about the situation, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can. We’re completely confidential.

Guest replied
    If my parents kick me out then say I have to come back home am I obligated to come back

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We’re sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you are in a tough situation at this time. We’re not legal experts but if your parent’s parents told you to leave than you probably won’t be considered a runaway and the police may just do a wellness check on your safety. You might explain what happened and they should be able to explain if there are any laws being broken.

We hope that things work out the way you want them to. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 years old, about to be 18 in 162 days, but today my boyfriend slept over and I guess my parents seen and they got mad so they kept calling me a slut and my mom told me I can leave with him and never come back, but I stayed cause I knew it was going to make everything worse. When he left my mom gave me the option to leave the house or send me away to Mexico or somewhere far, then she kept saying she didn't want to see me anymore and wanted me to leave because I disappointed them, so I left but I’m safe. I am staying with my older sisters, they're 21 and 25, all of a sudden my parents want me back and supposedly they will call the police. What do I do?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 10-14-2020, 01:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    replied
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are in a confusing situation. We’re sorry to hear about what’s going on with you and your parents. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give some very general information about runaway laws. Since you are still considered a minor in Georgia, your parents could potentially be charged with neglect for kicking you out. Since you were kicked out, you would technically be considered a “throwaway,” rather than a runaway. In either case, it’s unlikely that you would face any legal consequences. In most situations, the police either let you be or return you home—assuming your parents decided to file a runaway report in the first place. If they do not file a runaway report, there would be no reason for the police to pursue you; on the other side of that, if you did not alert police that your parents kicked you out, it’s unlikely that your parents would face legal repercussions.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Leave a comment:

• Are you considered a runaway if you are initially kicked out but asked to come back?

I'm 17 in Georgia. My parents initially kicked me out but are now sending confusing texts alternating from saying I should come back to saying I need to find a new home. I'm currently staying at a friend's house and I don't want to get them or me in legal trouble. Would I be in trouble for being in a runaway and/or would they be for kicking me out?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X