Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you considered a runaway if you are initially kicked out but asked to come back?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My sister in law that is 15 years old is in an abusive relationship with her mom. Me , my brother dating her and my mom recently found out about what had been happening to her and we are trying to figure out how to help. the mom has hit/beat her and has told her very awful things and has even told her plenty of times to get out of their house, the daughter is scared to leave because she doesn't know what will happen to her if she goes back home, this has been happening for a long time she says and there is proof of her saying things to help and has marks of when the mom has hit her. the mom had one time told the dad and her to leave the house and they were but then the mom just threw herself on the ground and was begging them not to leave. The mom is a liar . we just want to know what crimes would be made in this situation, or will my parents be arrested for "harboring a runaway"? even if we aren't encouraging her to run away or hiding her? or will she have to go back one home once the police gets involved?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear your sister-in-law is in an abusive relationship with her mom. That sounds pretty rough. Of course, she never deserves to be abused in any way and if she wanted to file an abuse report about what's going on she could always do that, either through local law enforcement or through www.childhelp.org (1-800-422-4453).

The term "harboring a runaway" usually refers to when a person houses a youth under 18 who has run away from home and who has a runaway report already filed on them. It normally doesn't include very basic assistance like giving them food or just talking to them. So if the runaway is not actually housed by your parents, this doesn't seem like it would be considered harboring a runaway.

We are concerned about your sister-in-law's situation, however. If we can be of any assistance to her or to you we are willing to help. The best way we can do that would be for you to contact our 24 hour confidential hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us via the chat feature on our website: www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.

All the best,
        NRS

I’m in New Jersey and I’m 16, my mom kicked me out yesterday but I didn’t leave I just walked to my room… she never said I could stay just started yelling at me to go to school this morning. If I leave it’s not a crime even if I “run away” in New Jersey but would the police still look for me?

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on—it sounds like things at home have been tough. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case.

Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

If you would like to talk more in detail, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X