No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Runaway

    Hello, My sons Girlfriend has a very bad home life. Mental abuse from the Mom and Step father.There is also drug abuse in the house.
    she ran away once and I picked her up and took her to her Grandmother but she has been sent back home and is calling me again wanting to leave. She says she is unhappy and tired if the fighting and drugs. What is her rights? She will be 17 in October. What are my rights if she runs away again and comes to me?

  • #2
    Reply: Runaway

    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    Unfortunately we are not legal experts so are not able to give you legal advice but can supply you with some general information.
    18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If one is under 18 and leave home, their parent/guardian may file a runaway report and they could be returned home. (Unless by being in the home they are considered at risk). Also, once a report is filed those they stay with may run the risk of being charged with aiding harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Please note that if she is considered abused or at risk of abuse she has the right to file a child abuse report with the local child protective services in her area.
    To do so she can contact Child Help at: 1-800-422-4453
    This is an organization that helps to protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone approved by CPS as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to discuss a situation may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. We are glad you reached out to NRS.

    If you or your sons girlfriend would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

    If she is at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage that 911 be contacted for emergency assistance immediately.

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp