No announcement yet.

running away while in cps custody

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Hi I’m 18 already and I was in a case in cps & I was a runaway at 16 years old, & never returned back can I contact my case worker so I can get my personal Information such as birth certificate & I.D without having to worry about legal actions


    • ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      It can depend on the state you live in. In most, yes, you can.

      You can google search " 'your state' age of majority" to learn the age of majority in your state (the age at which you can legally live on your own). If it is 18, there shouldn't be any negative consequences to contacting your caseworker. If it is 19 or higher, they might try to arrange a way to get you back into transitional-age foster care, but they also might not.

      You can call us at 1800RUNAWAY or live chat us at if you'd like to discuss things more.

  • #32
    I'm a runaway juvenile but I wanna go back to school. I'm on the run from foster care and I don't wanna go back. I'll be 18 in 6 months and I wanna try to go back to school in August. But if I do it'll flag and I don't have any of my records or anything. So what do I do? Do I wait until I'm 18 or is there something I can do that'll keep me uncover and still in school?


    • ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about the circumstances and that you do not wish to return to foster care. It sounds like school is valuable to you and we are glad to hear that you would like to go back. First and foremost, we hope that where you are is safe. Please know that we are not law experts, but we unfortunately do not know how it would be possible to enroll in school and remain incognito. We could certainly talk further with you about this and we welcome you to reach out directly through our online chat portal, found on our website at or by giving us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We could talk more in-depth about the situation and utilize our resources to provide you viable support.

      Wishing you health, safety, and peace.


  • #33
    Hi I am 16 years old me and my brothers were taken when the cops took my dad to jail they had told us we had to go with them because there isn't an adult to take care of us it has been 3 days and they told us we would go back home as soon as our dad got out and he is now out they are now saying that we have to wait until Monday and they are going to see what they have to do with us even tho my dad is out and he is our guardian


    • ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It takes a lot of courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. There’s a lot that you are dealing with right now and you feel running away would be an option. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave without permission. Since you are under 18 and already in CPS custody there may be greater consequences if you run away. Generally, your guardian may file you as a runaway and you will be returned to your guardians custody. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. We are here as support to help through this challenging time. If you would like to discuss this more in detail, we are available via chat or phone 24/7. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

      Talk to you soon and be safe!

  • #34
    I ran away from foster care got pregnant just had a baby yesterday but cps found me and now want to take the baby away from me and the father can they take it from both of us I am 17 and he is 21


    • ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment

      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story. We know that takes a lot of bravery.

      You are incredibly strong. We are not legal experts, but you and the father may have custody rights. If you are able to keep your baby it can be important to consider how you are going to care for them if you haven’t already, like making sure you have access to everything the baby needs or finding someone to care for them during weekdays if you are in school. If you are willing and able you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at our website, and we could help you find some legal aid and discuss planning for caring for your baby.

      Thank you again for reaching out to NRS. Feel free to contact us again anytime as we are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. Best of luck!

  • #35
    I am 17 and I am with my twin sister and we both turn 18 in 1 month, my dad has been abusive and the most recent time he hit my sister we were upset and decided to take action, we called our aunt and she agreed to pick us up. She then later contacted my other aunt and without our permission they got cps involved, cps met with us and told us to stay here with our aunts, only problem is that they will not let us contact either of our parents, there is also no service because they live In a remote area with no cell service, so we also have no contact with anyone outside of the house, and when we do talk to our parents they threatened to take our phones. All we want to do is go back home and finish school and we have told them that. So we are planning to runaway and stay somwhere where neither our parents or aunts know where we are. What do we do?


    • ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you both have been having issues with the aunt that cps told you to stay with after having some issues previously with your parents. It seems like cps got involved when you weren’t expecting that and it seems like they should be following up since they had told you both to stay there. You both deserve to be in school if that is what you are wanting as it is also considered neglect if you are not enrolled in school. It seems it might be more complicated with being in a remote area with no service, but we can help find shelters in your area to go to or even get in contact with cps so that they can follow up and help you both. To do this, we would need to have more of a conversation so if it is possible for you to chat us online at We do also have a hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) but recognize that would be harder without having cell service. We want to help as best as we can as you both deserve to be in a place that is safe for you and where you can finish school. We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp