No announcement yet.

running away while in cps custody

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • running away while in cps custody

    i turn 18 in 7 months, & i am in the custody of child protective services. they approved me living with my aunt in lieu of a foster home, because they would have had to move me out of state due to shortage of placements. i’m seriously considering running away just to get out of their grip for the time being.

    i live in ohio. what happens when i turn 18? would they just close my case, or could there be some kind of charges or anything? could cps hold custody of me still?

  • #2
    We are glad that you reached out to us. It is fantastic to see you are taking your time to plan and seek out information before you leave. We will answer many of these questions in a broad sense as we are not legal experts but can help give you an idea of what you can expect or what questions to ask. For more specific answers however you can always reach out to us over the phone at 1-800-621-0394 or reach out to your case worker/manager.

    The first concern you mentioned was that you may want to run away. If so it is important to plan where you may stay. Finding a location that is safe is important. Next would be considering how it may effect you. A runaway report can be made which would cause the police if they come in contact with you to take you home. This is not a criminal offense but a status offense which has minimal effect on you. If you want an idea of how the police will react to you running away you can call their nonemergency number and ask what they would do hypothetically if a youth who was already 17 ran away, which can vary from station to station. The other thing you mentioned is that you may only want to runaway temporarily. You may want to speak with your case worker/manager how this may effect benefits in the cps system. As you said you only have 7 months left before your 18 however depending on some factors you may be able to extend benefits/services up to 21 years of age. The specifics relating however could be best explained by your case worker/manager.

    We greatly appreciate you reaching out which can be a tough thing to do especially in a stressful situation. We hope everything works out and wish you the best of luck. If you have more specific questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I ran away from cps about a month ago and I’am really worried because I don’t know where am I gonna be placed again but my question is Can I leave the the country and come back into the USA even know I’am cps runaway ?


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. It is very good and smart to check in and ask questions, we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are really worried about returning to CPS because you don’t know where you would be placed when you return. That is an understandable worry. We would be able to do a conference call with your caseworker to discuss your situation and what may happen when you return.
        As far as leaving the country, we just don’t have the answer. Very likely when you left CPS, they filed a runaway report which puts your name on a national list of reported runaway youth. Whether the TSA would access that list is impossible to know.
        We hope that you might consider calling our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) if you are interested in the conference call; or using our live chat services through so that we can further discuss your situation with you.
        We hope to hear from you soon,
        Sincerely, NRS

    • #4
      I will be 18 in a month and I have a 2 month old daughter. Cps has been threatening to take my child because I let a close friend of mine babysit her and y guardian reported that I left her with a complete stranger. Cps was called in the first place because thc was found in me and my daughter at the time of birth. However, I was extremely sick throughout my pregnancy and couldn't eat enough to gain weight and I became malnourished. Smoking made it possible for me to get my appitite back and to keep down food and thats the only reason my daughter survived. I have been planning to run away to my father's house in Kentucky and I'm currently in Michigan. I'm not sure what would happen if I did this, but I do know I would be better off staying there than here.


      • ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We’re really sorry to hear about your situation but we will try to help you the best way we can. Realistically, there is nothing stopping you from running away. However, the potential repercussions are as of mentioned before, if a runaway report is filed and the police do locate you there is the possibility that you could get sent back to live with your legal guardian. It also could be a good option to check in with CPS and what repercussions could happen with them. If you are thinking about leaving and you would like to discuss options further you’re more than welcome to give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY.
        We really appreciate you contacting us today and if you need further assistance we’re always here to help, we’re 24/7/365.
        Best of luck!

    • #5
      I'm in Florida if I run away from a group home will they have a hearing to possibly put me with a family member


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have a really specific concerns that you should discuss with your case manager so that you can get the best information regarding your options. If you have any more questions or just want to talk about what is going on please feel free to contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7 and confidential. Best of Luck with everything!

    • #6
      So I am 17 years old and my dad got his rights taken away 10 years ago and now something came up. Why would they still go after a case when im 17? is there any legal things I can do from stopping them from trying to take me away if it comes down to it?


      • ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,
        Thank you for reaching out, and it's understandable you are worried about CPS possibly trying to take you away from your home. We are not legal experts here, and it may be beneficial for you to reach out to legal services or a case worker, if you have been assigned one in the past. You can always reach out to us through chat here on our website or by phone to talk about your situation in more specifics. We may be able to find legal services in your area and help facilitate a conversation between you and them, if that is something you would be interested in doing.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,

    • #7
      i am a a teen that just got taken into cps services i turn 17 in 3 days i was told at 17 i could leave my parents home but they called me in as a runaway i told them my dad has hit me in the past when they cam to take me home even tho i didnt run away i have a recording of my dad telling me to get out of his house if i run away from the place they put me what will happen


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

        Thank you for taking the time to reach out and sharing a bit about your situation. From what you shared, you have been so resourceful and smart already while coping with the stress of an abusive home. Being taken into CPS custody and not knowing what your living situation might be like can certainly be scary. We cannot say for sure exactly where you will be place, but it will likely be in a group home or with a foster family. The goal of CPS is to keep you safe and to intervene in abusive situations. If you runaway from a CPS placement, they can report you as a runaway to police. If police know where you are or you come into contact with law enforcement, they will return you to CPS custody.

        You do not have to make this transition alone. There is an organization called Child Help that advocates for young people and can help you navigate your future living situation. You can contact them at 1-800-422-4453 or go to You will likely be assigned a caseworker who can also be an advocate and support for you while in custody of the state. Transitional Living Programs are long-term living programs for young people that can sometimes be an option for people in your situation. These programs provide supportive services while you work toward living independently. After getting settled into your new living situation and speaking with your caseworker about your long-term plan, you can ask if a transitional living program is a viable option for you.

        We truly want to be a support a support for you while you navigate this difficult situation. You can call or chat with us anytime (1-800-786-2929; if you would like to talk more in depth about your situation. We are here 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible.

        We wish you the best,

    • #8
      I ran away about 5-6 months ago from CPS can they do anything to me after I turn eighteen in 6 days although the case was corrupted by CPS


      • ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello There,
        Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
        Because we are not legal experts we cannot give you a for sure answer, but we do have some information that may be helpful. One you do turn 18 a runaway report typically does get removed. So the police would not be able to bring you back home. To find out the best answer you may want to reach out to your local police department and ask what would happen because the laws are different in each state.
        We hope that this helped with your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck in your situation!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove