Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im 17 and i dont want to live with my family anymore

im 17 and i dont want to live with my family anymore ..i dont have any emotional support and im bipolar with extreme anger issue i dont feel safe for myself and others ..i dont feel loved what so ever i would be crying in the living room and no one would honestly care. i dont want to stay in a house where im the last to be taken care of and i feel like cant tell my mom that im hurting because it would be a burden to her and more stress for her ...everyone complains bout me not doing anything when i do. im mentally and emotionally drained from living here ...

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear about what you are going through and we want you to know that we are here for you. It takes a lot of courage to reach out to someone during difficult times and we are glad you chose us.

Everyone deserves to live in a home where you they feel like they are emotionally supported. Acknowledging your own anger issues takes a lot of self-reflection and understanding. We are sorry to hear that your family isn’t listening or caring about what you have going on in your life. We want you to know that we are always here to listen to you anytime you feel like you need someone to talk to. You can call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or live chat with us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org). By reaching out to us in one of those methods, we will be able to provide you information and resources for your situation, such as seeing a counselor or therapist, in your area free of charge. Even if you don’t feel like you need these resources, they are always helpful to have on hand. Simply talking with someone about your issues can be seen as a great aid in any situation.

We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, we can provide general information. Regarding your desire to move out of the house, all we ask is that if you do leave, you leave with a plan so that you don’t because homeless or living off the streets. Having a firm plan in place will be a great benefit to you if that day ever comes. Things such as where you would go, who you could trust to stay with or tell your location to, and any items that you can easily pack that are necessities like medication should be considered. Running away is not illegal, it is considered a status offense. This means that the only reason you are not allowed to do this is because of your age. Each state has a specific state where they consider individuals to be adults. Generally speaking, this age is 18. You can consult what age you are considered an adult in your state by going to the following website (https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states) and selecting the state you currently live in and looking at the information for “age of minority”. When you are one year old than the age of majority listed, you are now legally considered an adult.

Like we mentioned above, we are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, but we do have resources throughout the country that are and we would be glad to connect you to them. Please give us a call at our number listed about or live chat with us. We are open 24/7 and completely confidential. We wish you the best of luck and thank you once again for reaching out to us in this difficult time.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m 12 turning 14 and I don’t want to live with my family anymore. Me my mom and my sister are always arguing but me and my sister argue the most. Sometimes it can get physical but I try to stop myself from doing anything. I have mild depression and extreme anger issues and I’ve been to therapy but my mom says I’m fine and I hate it because they don’t understand how I feel. They don’t understand how I feel about how they treat me or what they say to me. I cry a lot and when my sister yells at me for really nothing she stops us and just acts like nothing ever happened and it gets me mad that I have to suffer with that. I’ve planned to runaway since I was about 10 but I don’t really have anywhere to go. It’s gets so stressful that I just don’t talk to anyone for a couple of days. My parents are divorced but I wouldn’t want to live with my dad because of his current living situations. So I don’t really know what to do, can you please try to help?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about how you have been feeling at home. It sounds like you're having a hard time with both your mom and your sister, which would be really hard to not have someone looking out for you. We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are a minor, if you leave home and your parents file a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your parents, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X