Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing and Method of Running Away

Just like everyone else on here, I have some problems at home that are pushing me to want to move out. After 12 years of enduring through some difficult situations with my mother, I have come to learn that for my own safety—mentally, emotionally, and physically—it would be best that I move out. Although I want to make this happen as soon as possible, I know I am going to need to take baby steps with patience to work myself into a spot that leaves me in a good place to live on my own. However, my main concerns are that I am 17 and will be turning 18 in 2 months in September. Which by then, I will be able to easily step out, however, with how things are going right at this moment, my mom is making some adjustments while she can to ensure that I don't leave home at 18. Another issue is that I need a liable method of transportation, I have a car that was given to me by my cousin (as he no longer wanted it), but my mom took that away. As much as I would love to take that with me when I leave, I am not sure if I can as she is the one who pays for the insurance and it is technically hers. On top of that, I am going to college this upcoming August. I am registered to stay in the dorms, but my mom is working to make sure that I can't so I can stay at home, even though I have worked my butt off to earn up enough scholarships and saved up enough money to pay for my education on my own without her help. I can't let this happen, with everything I am trying to do at school and for myself, I can't let her force me and control me during school. I suffered a lot with my grades with some situations concerning my mom and I don't want to go through that again when there is money involved—specifically my money. But I just don't know how exactly I want to go about this. I have a place to stay until I can move into my dorms and as much as I would love to just stick it out until then, I know my mom, and I know she will do anything to make sure I can stay her little girl forever. It's degrading and it's difficult to want to do anything when she treats me the way she does and neglects to let me make a positive life of my own. I've already seen some of her habits slip into my own and I refuse to let that happen anymore...How can approach this in the most legal way possible with the situation of my car, my age, and living in the dorms? If it helps, I also live in Colorado.

Hi there,

We’re so sorry to hear that you’re in an unsafe situation at home. It sounds like you’ve worked really hard and thought through what you can do to stay safe. Thank you for reaching out and prioritizing your own wellbeing.

We’re not legal experts here, but we can give some more general information on what running away usually looks like. Until you are 18, if you leave home your mom does have the legal right to file a runaway report and try to get police to return you home. However, sometimes police don’t actively search for runaways who are almost 18, especially since you’ve graduated high school – it varies locally, so one option would be to call the police non-emergency line for your department and ask what their policy is. If you call us at 1(800)786-2929, we can find that number for you and call out with you. You also have the right to be safe and get out of a dangerous situation. If you left and police did try to return you home, you’d have the option of filing a child abuse report and trying to avoid returning, though that would involve Child Protective Services.

Another option might be to reach out to the financial aid office of your college and discuss the situation with them. They might be able to help you navigate how to ensure you can live in dorm housing and protect what you’ve saved for tuition, or let you know what your options would be if your mom did take action to prevent you from going. Making sure to keep copies of your ID would be a good safety measure. If you call us, we can find legal resources for you to get more specific legal information about how to protect yourself before and after you turn 18.

Thanks again for reaching out. If you’d like some of those resources or just to talk through what’s going on in more detail to figure out a plan, you can always use our chat at 1800runaway.org or call us.

We wish you the best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X