Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use my ssn as id

I'm fourteen years old and about to run away. I can't find my birth certificate, but I know my social security number. Is this enough, or should I wait till I have my birth certificate to leave? What are the risks of being homeless without any id?

Hello,
    Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that you feel you need to run away. We are here to support you in your decision and listen to your concerns. You mentioned not knowing where your birth certificate is, that is a frustrating occurrence especially as you are trying to leave. You seem like you are very well thought out in that you know you want to have those sorts of documents handy!
    You have some concern about being homeless or on the streets without an id. Each state has its own set of rules and fees for ordering certified birth certificates and other records. Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all other U.S states can be found here (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Perhaps you can get in touch with your local county clerk’s office and they might be able to tell you a more solid answer on what documents are necessary to obtain your birth certificate. Other things that you can try is to contact the vital recorder office in your city and state to try to order a duplicate birth certificate or have another adult (usually family) help request one for you. Certainly, waiting until you have your birth certificate is an option but if you do not obtain it, you may still be able to access shelters and other services available to runaway youth. We would encourage you, in picking a shelter, to call ahead and ask what sorts of documentation is needed for you to be able to stay there. If you would like to have us call with you to search for those shelters you can call in to our crisis hotline at 1800-RUNAWAY.
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It takes a lot of strength to share your story. We wish you the best moving forward! We are open 24/7, toll free, and are a confidential agency so you can contact us whenever you would like.
    -NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X