Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 and want to move out

im 16 and throughout my teen years my father has verbally abused me often, we have a lot of arguments and sometimes he will drive his finger into my chest and tell me to hit him so he can hit me. i recently got grounded untill i move out, or stop being friends with someone i consider to be more family than my actual family.

my teachers at school are agreeing with me that i am on the ******** side of the stick because i have a brother that is viewed as an angel in there eyes. on many occasions, i have thought and attempted to take my own life

I dont think my parents are bad people but i just need to get away from them

dont get me wrong im not innocent, i have done bad things.

i dont know how to tell them im going to move out does anyone have any ideas

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us! It sounds like you are going through a really tough time with your parents. You do not deserve to be verbally abused or be threatened with physical violence by anyone, regardless of the things you have done. It’s awesome that you have a friend that you are so close with and that you can get support from, and it must be really difficult to be prevented for seeing them.

It sounds like you have a lot of support at school from your teachers. As you might know, school teachers are mandated reporters, meaning that if you tell them anything about abuse, that have to report it. With this in mind, you might consider talking to them about the abuse you have to face at home. They would have to report it, but this could lead to your parent’s behavior being investigated and create a bigger pool of resources for you. You can also call the organization Child Help which is a National Child Abuse Hotline and they can talk to you about the abuse and also help you file a report. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453. You can also call us and we can file a report with you or discuss that option more.

If you don’t want to talk to a mandated reporter about the abuse, there are a lot of adults that do not have to report it if you talk to them, but still might be able to offer assistance. This person could be like a family member or the parent of a friend. Sometimes just having a safe person to talk to can help get some stuff off your chest.

I’m sorry that this situation has lead you to contemplate and attempt to take your life. Your mental health is extremely important and you deserve a place where you can feel mentally safe. A resource that can help you discuss your thoughts about taking your life and other mental health concerns is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, they can be reached at 1-800-273-8255.

It sounds like you have been seriously considering leaving your parent’s house. Before moving out, you might want to plan where you might go, how you might get there, and how you might support yourself. You have a lot of options from youth shelters to potential family or friends. Discussing this with your parents can be tough, you might consider how they could react and plan some ways you might respond.

If you want to talk more about potential options or talk through a move out plan, you can call us at 1-800-786-2929. We are 24/7, toll free and confidential.

Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X