No announcement yet.

18 yrs and running away!!

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18 yrs and running away!!

    I just turned 18 this year and I want to leave home. My mom has a history of being emotionally, verbally, and mentally abusive. She used to be physical when I was younger, but as i aged it stopped. I want to move out and for the rest of summer I want to stay with my boyfriend. He's a year younger than me and his dad said he was going to pay for my flight ticket down there. I'm planning on leaving this wednesday, then when i come back to my state I'm going to live with my best friend until I get enough money to get an apartment of my own. I talked with a few councilors concerning my idea and they said I should, because I've informed them about my situation at home and they said it's best that I leave. I'v'e got everything planned out and i'm going to go through it.

    I'm going to admit that I'm extremely resentful towards my mother because of her past treatment and actions towards me, so I'm not going to regret my decision. But I feel bad about it because she's been okay lately and I feel like i'm somehow betraying her. But It's for the best. I don't want to live under her roof anymore when she degrades me for not being the kid she wanted me to. I still remember all the things she did and said and its... It's a lot.

    I did my research but I just want to make sure that it's alright. Could the police do anything if my mom calls me in as a missing person? On the day of my departure I plan on calling the non-emergency number of the police station so they know. I don't want my mom finding out where I've gone to or where I will be. I'm just going to leave a note and leave it at that.

    Is there anything she could do against me? Or get my boyfriends family in trouble because they're going to allow me to stay with them? I'm extremely worried.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about the way your mom has treated you. You don't deserve to be treated that way. It sounds like you have a plan to stay with friends until you can afford to live on your own. In most states, once a person turns 18 they are considered as legal adults. As an adult you have the right to leave home without your mom's permission. Your mom could call the police and file a missing person's report, but you could simply call the police to let them know you are not missing and that you are safe. Your boyfriend could not get into any trouble for allowing you to stay with them since you aren't a minor. We hope that this information helps, if you have any questions or just want to talk please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp