Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restraining order on parent

I'm 17 and i want to put a restraining order on my mom, i ran away a few days ago and she wont stop harassing me, my other family members that are on my side, my girlfriend, or her family. what can i do to put a restraining order on my mom because DCFS hasn't been help at all in the past. my mom has full guardianship over me yes, but is also mentally and verbally abusive towards me. i don't want to live under the same roof as her anymore.

Hi there,

We’re so sorry to hear that you’ve been facing abuse from your mother and that DCFS hasn’t been able to help. Thanks for reaching out and recognizing that your health and safety are important.

We’re not legal experts here, but we can give some general information about what running away looks like. If you call us at 1(800)786-2929, we can look for legal aid resources that will give you more specific and accurate information for your situation and the question of whether you can file a restraining order on her. It’s possible that you may not be able to file a restraining order against her while she is still your legal guardian, as it is legal for her to file a runaway report while you are still a minor. Another option might be to call Child Help at 1(800)422-4453 and talk about your options regarding abuse reporting even though it sounds like you have tried in the past.

You can always call us or use our chat at 1800runaway.org to talk through your different options, get more legal resources, and figure out how to best stay safe.

We wish you the best of luck,
    NSR
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X