No announcement yet.

18 yrs and planning on leaving

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 18 yrs and planning on leaving

    hey there, I just turned 18 this year and I want to move out. I graduated highschool and I'm making money by doing online art commissions. I've got everything planned out and I'm going to go down to my boyfriends house for the rest of summer- at least until college starts. We've been dating for over a year so I guess it'll be okay (I was 16 when we met, he was 15. Now I'm 18 and he's about to turn 17 in a month). Anyways, though things at home has eased up, I don't want to stick around. My parent has been emotionally, mentally, and sometimes physically abusive to me for God knows how long. They've been decent this year, but I've had enough of it. I don't want their kindness, I don't want to be here, and I sure as hell don't want to be around them any longer. I still hold resentment towards them for everything they've done to me. I just find it unforgivable, and I don't want them in my life no matter how nice they are right now. I'm just done.

    So. Would it be okay if I were to leave for my boyfriends without saying a word?? Or would the police get involved?

  • #2
    NRS203: Hello,

    Thanks so much for reaching out! Nobody deserves to be abused, and your decision to leave is totally understandable, even if things have been less bad recently. It’s also clear that you’ve put a lot of thought into this decision, which is great. We’re not legal experts, but we’re happy to provide some general information.

    The answer to your question depends on where you live. If you are in Alabama or Nebraska you are not legally an adult until 19, and if you are in Mississippi you are not legally an adult until you’re 21. In those states, if you ran away your parents would legally be allowed to ask the police to return you home. Since you are nearly an adult in those states anyway, it’s possible that the police would choose to not get involved – it depends on how the local police would choose to treat the situation.

    If you live in one of the other 47 states, you are legally an adult at this point. That means that you can live wherever you want, and your parents do not have the ability to return you home against your will. It would be up to you to decide what way of leaving would be the safest and best option for you – if that means leaving without saying a word, you could do that. If your parents didn’t know where you went, they could file a missing person report, but once you were located they still wouldn’t be able to return you home if you didn’t want to go.

    We wish you the best of luck. Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our chat if you have any more questions, or want to talk through your plan.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp