No announcement yet.

I have questions?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I have questions?

    So I am 17 years old (18 in Feb of 2019) and I have been abused by my legal guardian (my aunt on my dad side) since I was younger. My biological mother has recently moved down the street from us.I was wondering what would happen if I were to leave and go to live with my mother. Would there be legal problems with me still being 17? I want to get away from the abuse and live with my mom and younger siblings.

  • #2
    Hey there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation.

    From what you included in your email, you mentioned that you’ve been experiencing abuse at home. It’s understandable that you’re wanting to get away from that environment. Home should always be a safe place for you to be, abuse is never okay and you don’t deserve that treatment. You are always able to report the abuse that you’re going through to CPS or staff at school. You’re not alone in this, we are here to help, and there are other organizations here to help as well. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for living with your mom and transferring custody.

    If you leave the house without your aunt’s permission, she can report you as a runaway. You cannot be arrested for running away but your mom could get into legal trouble for harboring you. We have legal aid resources in our database. While we’re not law experts, we can try to find one in your area, there may be legal ways for you to be able to move to your mom’s house. We’re here to try to brainstorm options with you.

    We hope our response is helpful. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center if you'd like to talk more about your situation.

    Be safe, NRS

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp