Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I legally move out of my house without legal consent in Michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I legally move out of my house without legal consent in Michigan?

Im 17 and I just recently graduated. In my graduation night I went out with some friends all night ( no drugs, or alcohol.) we’re good kids. At home it’s only me, my mom, and my step dad but they’re separated. My mom made a big deal about me going out and the day after I had not yet been home she calls and says my step dad kicked me out and to not come back to the house. So I get angry and i just hang up on her and stay at one of my close friend’s house who’s parents treat me like family and i explain to them what happened and they accept me in their house but then my mom calls them and start yelling telling them not to accept me in their house. Then I go back home and my mom says she wants to send me to my aunts home in New York which I do not want to go to. Do I have a choice or can I just move to my friend’s house?

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out. This definitely sounds like a hard situation and we hope we can help. We’re not legal experts, but we are unaware of any way you can legally move to a friend’s house without your parents’ permission, other than by becoming emancipated, which would require a lot of time and money to be honest. We have heard substantial anecdotal evidence from police officers in Michigan suggesting that they don’t take runaway reports for 17 year olds. You can call the non-emergency police where you live to confirm this, and also to ask them if it’s legal for your mom to try to send you to New York.

Best,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X