Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gone,

I was supposed to be home 2 hours ago, I have no plans of going home.

I want my parents to know i'm safe,
    how can I do that?

Re: gone,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS with your question. It sounds like you really care about your parents knowing you are safe. How do you plan on keeping safe? Where are you going to stay this evening?

One thing that we offer here at NRS, is a message service. What this means is that you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and ask to leave a message for your parents. You would not actually speak directly to your parents; instead we would take down a brief message in your own words. Then someone here would call your parents and deliver the message.

Another option we offer here at NRS, is conference calling between you and your parents. What this means is that you can call here and we can facilitate conversation between you and your parents. We can also talk beforehand about what this conversation might look like.

Once you let your parents know you are safe, what do you think they will do? In most states it is not illegal to runaway, however most states recognize it as illegal to harbor a runaway. Knowing this, what do you feel your options are as far as where you can stay?

One place we can help out with at NRS is youth shelters. If you provide us with your location, we can provide numbers for shelters where you might be able to stay. If you decide to call us, we can even conference call the shelters. Just so you are aware though, most shelters are required by law to get parental consent or notification within a certain period of time ranging anywhere from immediately to 48 or 72 hours. This is to protect themselves legally when providing minors a place to stay.

Again, we are glad you decided to reach out to us, and hope that this information can be of help to you. If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us. Best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X