Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to legally leave home at 16 in Georgia?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to legally leave home at 16 in Georgia?

Hi! My girlfriend is 16 and lives in Georgia with her parents. Her family situation is bad and abusive and lately we've been discussing having her move in with me and my family (I'm also sixteen) in Wisconsin (I know it's far away, but my parents are more than willing to help her). She's worried about her parents calling the cops on her or us and I need to know if there's an easier way to go about it because, as I said, her parents are abusive and would never give parental consent. Is there a way I can get my parents to take guardianship of her or something? I don't know anything about law and I don't know what to trust on google because I've been seeing different results. I'm really worried about her situation as it is and I'm not sure how much longer she can afford to stay in an unsafe environment.

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like your girlfriend is going through a really difficult situation at home. We are glad that you are looking out for her best interest and want to help. Looking at this situation, there are a few things to consider. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but we can give some general information.
    If your girlfriend’s parents were to call the police and file a runaway report, the police may ask if they are any places they believe she might be. If your parent’s place is one of those, they may contact the police department in your town and asked for them to check to see if she is there. Depending on the situation, your parents could potentially get into legal trouble for knowingly harboring a runaway child. However, not everything is black and white. Like you mentioned above, your girlfriend’s parents are being abusive to her and where she is living is not a safe environment. If your girlfriend’s situation is documented or at least known to the proper authorities (Child Protective Services, the police, etc.) things might be different. If your girlfriend ever needs someone to talk to about the abuse that she is receiving at home, a good resource for her to contact is the National Child Abuse Hotline (www.childhelp.org) at 1-800-422-4453.
    Like we mentioned above, we aren’t legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline so it is hard to say what would be involved with changing custody or issues with the police if your girlfriend was to move into your parent’s home. However, if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org) we will gladly look up some legal resources that might be able to assist. Once again we thank you for the courage to reach out to us and are glad you are looking out for your girlfriend in this difficult time. We wish you good luck during this difficult time.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I live in Olympia Washington and I am done being my family's scape goat and not getting the help, love and support I need from them. Is there anyway I can leave home. I have family in Idaho that I feel a lot better with. And that actually care about me. Or is can I put myself up for adoption?

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Everyone should be able to live in a home where they are loved, supported, and treated with respect. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, you cannot terminate your parents’ parental rights (putting you up for adoption). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

I’m 16 and I live with my aunt and she has this really emotionally and verbally abusive boyfriend, he yells at me has threatened me made fun of me said very hurtful things to me, looked at me in sexual ways and isolated me from my friends, he is also very mean to my aunt but when I try to talk to her about it she always defends him and gets mad at me, my aunt is also very bipolar I feel like I’m always walking on egg shells at home, I’m not happy here and I can’t talk to her about anything, I’m only happy at school with my friends. My aunt often throws insults at me telling me she doesn’t care about my feelings or problems and has even said she hopes I get pregnant and that I should drop out of school cause I’ll probably fail anyways, if I do one little thing wrong she takes my phone and isolates me and says hurtful things to me while I’m sitting in front of her crying, she’s said multiple times “ f*ck you” to me and called me a “b*tch” a lot. Her and her boyfriend have gotten back together and broken up probably 10 times, then they got married and she cheated on him then they got divorced and broke up then got back together and he stayed with us for 7 months then they broke up again and my aunt promised me she would never let him around us again and she wouldn’t do that to me again cause I told her how mean he was to me, she even told me she noticed him looking at my body in a sexual way, but now they’re back together and getting married in a month and buying a house together far away from here and if I move with them I’ll lose my friends and be isolated with them, I have anxiety and depression and when I’m around them it gets worse and I want to run away. I’ve talked to my neighbors that I babysat for for 2 years and they said I could stay with them until I’m 18 if I wanted to, can I just leave and go live with them without my aunts consent and without them getting in trouble? Or do they have to get guardianship of me, can they get guardianship of me?

Comment

I’m 16 and I live with my aunt and she has this really emotionally and verbally abusive boyfriend, he yells at me has threatened me made fun of me said very hurtful things to me, looked at me in sexual ways and isolated me from my friends, he is also very mean to my aunt but when I try to talk to her about it she always defends him and gets mad at me, my aunt is also very bipolar I feel like I’m always walking on egg shells at home, I’m not happy here and I can’t talk to her about anything, I’m only happy at school with my friends. My aunt often throws insults at me telling me she doesn’t care about my feelings or problems and has even said she hopes I get pregnant and that I should drop out of school cause I’ll probably fail anyways, if I do one little thing wrong she takes my phone and isolates me and says hurtful things to me while I’m sitting in front of her crying, she’s said multiple times “ f*ck you” to me and called me a “b*tch” a lot. Her and her boyfriend have gotten back together and broken up probably 10 times, then they got married and she cheated on him then they got divorced and broke up then got back together and he stayed with us for 7 months then they broke up again and my aunt promised me she would never let him around us again and she wouldn’t do that to me again cause I told her how mean he was to me, she even told me she noticed him looking at my body in a sexual way, but now they’re back together and getting married in a month and buying a house together far away from here and if I move with them I’ll lose my friends and be isolated with them, I have anxiety and depression and when I’m around them it gets worse and I want to run away. I’ve talked to my neighbors that I babysat for for 2 years and they said I could stay with them until I’m 18 if I wanted to, can I just leave and go live with them without my aunts consent and without them getting in trouble? Or do they have to get guardianship of me, can they get guardianship of me? My aunt and her boyfriend are very verbally and emotionally abusive to each other and me, I live in Georgia

Comment

Reply: I’m 16 and I live with my aunt

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

With everything that you have been going through at home with your parent’s it took a lot of courage for you to reach out. We appreciate you sharing your feelings about the situation. Well done. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. You should be able to feel safe in your home it is not your fault that you are being treated unfairly and made to feel at risk. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. Your safety is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

There are laws to protect minors from abuse. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          Another referral we like to pass on to you is R.A.I.N.N. 1-800-656-4673 www.rainn.org
          They assist and support victims of child or sexual abuse.

You were very brave to reach out today and speak about your situation.
          If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 9-1-1 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X