No announcement yet.

16 year old leaving home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 year old leaving home

    I'm 16, I'm not in an abusive home but living there makes me 100% mentally unstable. I'm so happy when I'm away from home. My parents are constantly arguing and im tired of it. I have a 19 year old boyfriend (we live in North Carolina so this is legal) and he has offered me a nice place to stay with him. He makes very good money and supports himself. I have a job and make decent money as well. My mom is completely against me leaving, calling me a liar saying the only reason I'm leaving is because I want to hang out with him. This isn't the case. I finally snapped and just need out of the house. I'm currently living with my sister and her boyfriend, which my mother gave me consent to do. I hate living here because I feel like I'm a burden and in the way. And there is no chance my mom will let me emancipate, not to mention how long that would take. What can I do? Can I legally leave and move in with him? Or will I be taken home and be considered a run away? Could he get in trouble for holding a runaway in his home if I was considered one? What could my mom do about it?

  • #2
    RE: 16 year old leaving home

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We are sorry you feel uncomfortable at home. It must be a difficult experience to go through since it makes you mentally unstable. It sounds frustrating to be in an environment in where your parents are always arguing. We understand that it may also be tough to feel like a burden to you sister.
    You mentioned emancipation and wondered if you know the process of emancipation in your state. You may not need your parents’ consent but you will have to prove that you are able to care for yourself. Sounds like it is hard for you to hear your mom call you a liar and disagree with you moving. It may help to have your parents and you to sit down and talk things out. Another idea that may be useful is seeing if it pays off to wait out until you are legal age. Sounds like you have support from your sister and consent from your mother in your living situation now and that can be option for you until you are able to move in with your boyfriend. You also had legal questions about running away. We are not legal experts but generally if your parents file a runaway report and the police find you, they will have to bring you back home and your boyfriend can get in trouble with the police for harboring a run away. These are some things to think about.
    If you are wanting to speak more about your situation and talk through some things we are 24/7 and can be reached at 1(800)-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us online at We can provide support and explore further options with you. We wish you the best and hope everything works out.
    Best, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp