No announcement yet.

16 and can't take it anymore

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 and can't take it anymore

    I want to know how can I get away from my house? I'm 16, turning 17 next week and I can't take living with my mom anymore. We've always had problems before, and we (I) got counseling to fix it, but recently it's gotten a lot worse and I seriously can't handle it anymore. I want to run away but I'm afraid of her reporting me a runaway. I want to finish high school and I have a job, and know that I can't go to any of those if I'm reported as a runaway, but I can't stay here anymore. It's gotten to the point where I feel this pit in my stomach whenever I have to go home or when I'm going to see my mom, like when someone is getting bullied and have to go to school and see that bully. I've learned to deal with bullies and to cut off unhealthy relationships, but what do you do when that unhealthy relationship is with your mom?
    I don't want to make a DCFS report because that'll get her in trouble ( I have three younger brothers) She only treats me like this, I just want to leave. What can I do? Is emancipation an option? I know you're not legal experts, but any advice would help!

  • #2

    Hi there,

    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like it would be difficult to be in a situation where you don’t feel comfortable at home. It’s great that you’ve been working on your relationship with her through counseling, but it must be frustrating that things between the two of you aren’t getting better.

    It’s also good to hear that you want to keep going to school and get a job after you finish. You sound very mature and responsible and it sounds like you’ve thought about the consequences that can happen if you leave home without your mom’s permission. There’s a lot to consider when running away. Some things to think about are: Who would you stay with? How would you get there? How would you pay for things? Would the people you stay with be willing to risk “harboring a runaway” charges? Just some things you might want to consider.

    As far as emancipation, every state processes it differently and some states don’t even allow it. Usually, you would need to explain to the courts why staying at home is not a good option for you, how you will support yourself financially, and that you have a place to stay. Generally, the emancipation process can take a while. It really depends though. If you call or chat with us, we can look up legal resources specific to your area who can answer your questions related to emancipation.
    Again, we are glad that you reached out to us with your questions. If you need more support, please feel free to contact our 24 hour hotline.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp