Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Abused FL, Wants to run away to MO

My friend is 16 years old and lives in Florida, she has been physically abused by her mother in the past but is currently and has been mentally abused by her. I am 19 years old, live in Missouri and want to help her but not sure how. She has has talked about wanting to run away many time and is scared of what might happen or where she will go if CPS is called. If I were to aid her in running away and giving her a place to stay what might happen to her or me? Other details that might help understand her life better is that she is home schooled for all her life and has no consumers or teachers to turn to. Her sister also feels the heat from their mothers mental abuse as well as her father who she keeps threatening to divorce and take the kids (Parental alienation syndrome).

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that you friend is being abused at home. Abuse is never okay, and she doesn't deserve to be treated that way. She has the right to report the abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource for her to explore her options and get information on how to transfer custody. Since your friend is a minor, if she leaves home her parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find her they may return her home. Although running away isn't illegal, you could get in trouble for harboring a runaway if her parents decide to press charges. Your friend could try asking her parents if they would allow her to move with another family member. Another option that she has is looking into emancipation laws for the state of Florida. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X