Moving out at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out at 17 in Texas

I've been having a lot of family issues and its pushing me to the limit... I love my parents don't get me wrong I just... I'd rather be with my sister... So is it legal for me to move out at 17 and move in with my sister? I'm still a student in high school (senior) and have a job...

Moving out at 17 in Texas

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It seems you may be feeling overwhelmed with things at home with your parents and you are wanting to move out. It sounds like the tension at home is becoming too much and you feel it is best if you live with your sister. We are sorry you feel like there is a lot of pressure and tension making home life uncomfortable for you. We are glad you reached out to explore some concerns you are having.

We are not legal experts, but because you are 17, you are required to live under the care of your parents/guardians unless they agreed to let you live with your sister and have her care for you. Once you reach the age of majority which tends to be 18 in most states, then you can legally leave home because you would then be your own legal guardian. It is often best to reach out to local non-emergency police to obtain information on rights at 17 and age of majority. If you would like to talk more about what you are going through as well as explore some ways to open communication with your parents, we are here to help you in any way we can. Please reach out by phone or chat.

We look forward to your call or chat soon.

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 17 and I have too many people living in my house and way to much drama under one roof and I want to move in with my god parents would I legally be able to do that?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-27-2018, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Reply: I'm 17 and I have too many people

Hello,
        Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
        If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take Care,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m 17 living in Texas and I already graduated and I live in an abusive home with a single mother and a few months back while I was still attending school I spoke to 2 officers who patrolled there and both said that once I finished school I could move out legally and recommended it even, is this something I can actually do?

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi. Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you may be going through a difficult time at home. Although we are not legal experts, it appears that in most states the age of majority is at least 18 years old. Therefore, if you are 17 years old you would technically still need parental consent if you wanted to leave home. However, if you do decide to leave home before you turn 18 without permission, it may be important to know that your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found you may be required to return back home. However, in some cities police officers will not take a runaway report for someone who is 17 years old. You can double check if this is true for your area by contacting your local emergency line. They can be contacted at 1800-230-7526. We hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to reach back out to us via phone at 1800-runaway or come chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you’d like to discuss your situation further and/or need any additional resources. All the best, NRS.

Hello I’m 17 and I wanna leave my house but my parents won’t let me. If I leave without telling them would I get in trouble??

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you are having a hard time at home. We are not legal experts but you are still considered a minor, depending on the state you live in, so technically your parents could file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and you are found you may be required to return back home. However, in some cities police officers will not take a runaway report for someone who is 17 years old. You can check if this is true for your area by contacting your local emergency line. Please feel free to reach back out to us via phone at 1800-RUNAWAY or come chat with us at 1800runaway.org if you’d like to discuss your situation further and/or need any additional resources. Best of luck!

Hi, I am 17 years old and I am pregnant. my parents are being very abusive towards me. every night, I come home from school and they find something to yell at me about or just about my situation. I am trying so hard not to leave but I want too... I just don’t know if I can runaway and get away with it.

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, and sharing a little bit of what has been going on. You do not deserve to be abused in any type of way. You always have the right to report the abuse by calling the police or by calling Child Help at: 1800-422-4453. You could also consider talking to a school counselor about what has been going on.
            We are not legal experts but we do have some knowledge on the laws. If you were to leave home before turning 18 you could be considered as a runaway. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you back home. You could consider emancipation which may allow you to leave home legally before turning 18. To find out more about emancipation you can call your local court house or call us and we can provide you with legal aid resources.
            We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
            NRS

hi, im 17 years old and pretty much like everybody else, saying me and my parents don't get along would be an understatement. My birthday is on november 19th which is a tuesday, but i was wondering if i could move out and go stay with my friend on november 18th because my parents would still be at work and it'd be the perfect chance. Can i move out the day before my birthday without getting in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello!
            It sounds like you are trying to move out right before you turn 18 and want to know a little bit about the legality of leaving. While we aren’t legal experts, 18 is generally the age of adulthood in most states. If you do decide to leave home before turning that age, your parent/guardian may file something called a runaway report. Generally, running away isn’t illegal per say, it is something called a status offense. Similar to curfew, you would not be arrested or charged (unless other circumstances exist like being on probation, running away habitually, etc.). In most cases the police will take a report to help try to find the youth and bring them back to their parents/guardians. We know this can be a lot and we are always here to brainstorm and talk about what this means to you and help create a plan with this information in mind. Also, the best way to get more information about runaway protocol in your area is to reach out to the local non-emergency police and ask questions about what their protocol is (you can ask confidential questions like you have with us without sharing any information you are not comfortable with). Since it would be a day before you turn 18, there may be a better chance for the police not wanting to pursue a runaway report, but there is always a risk.

Also when you turn 18, if a runaway report is made, it would become absolved in a sense and the police will no longer pursue. Your parents would not be able to make another runaway report since you would be a legal adult by age, but they may make a missing person’s report. This would be a safety report and would not make you go back to your parents but the police may check up to make sure you are safe if a report is made.

Again, we appreciate your bravery with reaching out to us. We do truly care about you and are always here to brainstorm ideas, plans, and options to help you create a plan you feel is most safe. You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can also chat us at 1800runaway.org as well. We hope to hear from you soon.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X