Moving out at 17 in Texas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I am 17 years old and I turn 18 next June. I haven't lived with my dad since I was around 6 and it for around 2-3 months. Right now I live in California with my aunt's friend and my cousins live here also but the bought a house in Texas and they want me to move with them to give me a better opportunity and chance of having a better future. My 'father' does not want me to move with them because he thinks they are taking me away from him but I've always had trouble with him in the past with abuse...emotionally, verbally, and physically. He even says that when I turn 18 I'm not allowed to move but he claims he wants to live him but he threatens me that and I quote, "Beat the ******** out of you, I will kill you." There is more to the story that I cannot get into details of which would be a whole book if I wrote it all but I'm deciding to move to Texas with my cousins I haven't had my own room since I was 13. Anyways I'll stop here. If anyone could give me advice of how to handle this situation please do not tell me to stay in California the decision is final I leave October 30, 2020 which is a Friday.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry that your father has been abusive towards you. It is never ok for anyone to hurt you, nor is it ok for anyone to threaten to kill you or in any way threaten your safety. If your dad has been abusive, you have the right to report it. If you are interested in filing an abuse report, we can help you through the process, as well as organizations like Child Help, available at 1.800. 422.4453 or by visiting www.childhelp.org . It sounds like you would like to move with the family you are currently staying with, and you would like to know whether this is possible. We cannot tell you what to do, but we can review options with you.

We are not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are a minor, where you live depends on your legal guardian. If your legal guardian has consented for you to live with that family, the family you currently live with would need consent to move you out of state. If you would like to move with the family that you currently live with, one option would be to ask the adult you live with whether they have spoken to someone about this, as there is a possibility that they may have already asked for consent to have you move with them. As far as what he said about your ability to move out when you turn 18, if that is the age you are considered a legal adult in your state, you are free to live wherever you choose. It would be up to you whether or not to move, as well as whether you would like him to know where you live. If you would like more information, or you would like to explore resources in your area that can answer your questions more specifically, please feel free to reach out to us.

Whatever you decide, know that we are here for you. We cannot tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you identify resources and explore options. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), or via chat by visiting https://www.1800runaway.org/ . We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!
      -NRS

Im 17 and I’ve been having problems with my dad well step dad He basically told me that I’ll never be good enough and I’ll never make him proud of me and it’s no secret that he wants me to be perfect and I’m not and he blows everything out of proportion he said that anything I have to say doesn’t matter and he says that I’m unappreciative which I am very and that basically I’m a failure which really hurts obviously and I just can’t deal with any of it anymore I try to make him proud I try my hardest and nothing. I don’t wanna live here anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. It sounds like you are doing the best that you can with your dad. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X