running away in Tennessee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I stay in Tennessee. I was wondering what I could do to runaway/ getaway from the house I'm currently in. Being here makes me suicidal and depressed. I'm always locked in my room like a dog and I can't ever go anywhere. I've been mentally abused a lot of times and that's why I do the bad stuff I do, but they don't understand that. They won't let me live with anyone else and I can't get emancipated because I don't have a job because they won't let me work. I don't know what to do I just want to get out of here. (I'm only 16).

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are happy to help you and provide you with support during this time.

It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation right now. You do not deserve to go through this, and you are not alone. We are always here for you if you want to talk and need someone who isn't going to judge you or tell you what to do.

There are some shelters for minors in Tennessee, but you would need to contact us through either our website (www.1800runaway.org) or our 24 hour hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY) for a referral or you can email us at [email protected] and we can provide the referrals directly.

If you would like more resources to answer any other questions you might have, don’t hesitate to reach out to NRS through our website or over the phone through our 24 hour hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY).

Thank you again for reaching out to us. We are here 24/7 and have someone available to talk.

Best,

NRS

Am 14 year old male I live in Memphis tn I don’t know how to express my self though a text or chat… but I been having a lot of family problems am a non-citizen of the U.S and am saying this because I don’t know how this would work out if I ran away from home but I tried everything to a point where I feel like running oh away just not to be near my parent I don’t wanna keeping living like this nor with this family… I have no idea what to do I need help.

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks so much for contacting us with your question. It sounds like you are dealing with a tough situation with your family. You were brave to reach out to us. It seems like you are wondering what the legal ramifications would be if you were to run away knowing that you are not a US citizen. We are not legal experts, but generally when someone runs away, parents can file a runaway report with local police for any minor, regardless of nationality. It’s hard to say exactly what they would happen in order to bring you back to your parents.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Best,
      NRS

If a child is a runaway at 17 when they turn 18 what happens ? Like are they subjust yo jail time when they turn 18

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15
      Super Moderator
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. In answer to your question, from what we know if you are able to stay hidden until you turn 18 the runaway report becomes just a missing report, at which point police would not have the authority to bring you home. Also you would never be put in jail or juvie for simply running away as it is a status offence and not a criminal one.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X