No announcement yet.

running away in Tennessee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I’m 17 (I turn 18 in February) and I was planning on moving out and living with my friend and his mom on my birthday, but things have gotten insanely bad at my house and I want to move out ASAP. Would his mom be charged for “hiding” me or would any of us get into legal trouble for this? I am a distance learner, so I would still be attending school. I just want to know if me or his parents would be charged with any crimes, or if the police would be able to force me back home. -thanks!

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

hi im 13 and want to run a way maybe by next month i just want to know if thers anywhere out side or Lavegne or symrna i can stay for a while

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi thanks for reaching out to us. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help in your situation. We are glad you are thinking about options before you runaway of places you can stay for a while. We understand it must be very stressful in your current situation to feel that running away is your best option. We want to make sure that you are safe and have safe options for temporary places to stay. We have access to shelter resources in Tennessee and we would like you to find one that has availability for you and meets your needs. The best way for us to do that is for you to call us on our confidential 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also start a chat with us on line anytime at 1800RUNAWAY.ORG. We can conference call the shelters to evaluate your options and start the intake process if you call us on the hotline number. There is also a listing of safe places for runaways at NationalSafePlace.Org. We would like to talk with you and help you explore your options and develop a plan that works and feels right for you. Please reach out to us anytime on the chat or hotline. Good luck.

if I am 16 and wanting to run away from home, because my parents are emotionally abusive and I hav been hit before. if I get caught buy the law and they start to question me will I be forced to go back home or could I stay with a family/fridn that I will be safe with

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Is it illegal for someone else to keep me if I run away (I mean will they get in trouble)? I don’t feel like I can report my parent to CPS but he’s pretty bad sometimes, like just now he made me have a meltdown for the first time in literally ages. I don’t break easily. But yeah will someone who houses me get in trouble if I run away?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      Be safe,
      NRS

So I’ve packed and have all the details set up for when I’m running away. I’m going to in a couple years when I officially have my drivers license and (hopefully) Covid 19 is either gone or under better control. The only problem is that I don’t know where to go. I’m in Tennessee and Iv’e been looking at runaway shelters , but there are none near me. Any suggestions?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hi I am 17 and on the 25 of November I ran away from home. I packed my clothes and had my friend get me. A fews hours pass and the cops ended up finding me and they took me to mcdowell and from there my guardian picked me up and brought me home. I have court in a few days and I am wondering what they are going to do to me. They are charging me as a runaway! Will i be sent off for this, or maybe 6 months probation?! This was my first time ever doing something like that. please help me

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

It looks like you might have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. Thank you for contacting us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please call or chat us again if your situation changes or if you have more questions or concerns, or if you need additional support. We are here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X