running away in Tennessee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey I’m 17 (I turn 18 in February) and I was planning on moving out and living with my friend and his mom on my birthday, but things have gotten insanely bad at my house and I want to move out ASAP. Would his mom be charged for “hiding” me or would any of us get into legal trouble for this? I am a distance learner, so I would still be attending school. I just want to know if me or his parents would be charged with any crimes, or if the police would be able to force me back home. -thanks!

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
      NRS

hi im 13 and want to run a way maybe by next month i just want to know if thers anywhere out side or Lavegne or symrna i can stay for a while

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi thanks for reaching out to us. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for help in your situation. We are glad you are thinking about options before you runaway of places you can stay for a while. We understand it must be very stressful in your current situation to feel that running away is your best option. We want to make sure that you are safe and have safe options for temporary places to stay. We have access to shelter resources in Tennessee and we would like you to find one that has availability for you and meets your needs. The best way for us to do that is for you to call us on our confidential 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also start a chat with us on line anytime at 1800RUNAWAY.ORG. We can conference call the shelters to evaluate your options and start the intake process if you call us on the hotline number. There is also a listing of safe places for runaways at NationalSafePlace.Org. We would like to talk with you and help you explore your options and develop a plan that works and feels right for you. Please reach out to us anytime on the chat or hotline. Good luck.

if I am 16 and wanting to run away from home, because my parents are emotionally abusive and I hav been hit before. if I get caught buy the law and they start to question me will I be forced to go back home or could I stay with a family/fridn that I will be safe with

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Is it illegal for someone else to keep me if I run away (I mean will they get in trouble)? I don’t feel like I can report my parent to CPS but he’s pretty bad sometimes, like just now he made me have a meltdown for the first time in literally ages. I don’t break easily. But yeah will someone who houses me get in trouble if I run away?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      Be safe,
      NRS

So I’ve packed and have all the details set up for when I’m running away. I’m going to in a couple years when I officially have my drivers license and (hopefully) Covid 19 is either gone or under better control. The only problem is that I don’t know where to go. I’m in Tennessee and Iv’e been looking at runaway shelters , but there are none near me. Any suggestions?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hi I am 17 and on the 25 of November I ran away from home. I packed my clothes and had my friend get me. A fews hours pass and the cops ended up finding me and they took me to mcdowell and from there my guardian picked me up and brought me home. I have court in a few days and I am wondering what they are going to do to me. They are charging me as a runaway! Will i be sent off for this, or maybe 6 months probation?! This was my first time ever doing something like that. please help me

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

It looks like you might have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue. Thank you for contacting us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please call or chat us again if your situation changes or if you have more questions or concerns, or if you need additional support. We are here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
      NRS

hi, I am 14 years old. My mother gives up on me when I was 4. She is now trying to come back but after all the years of giving up on me I have given up on her. I am failing school and being picked on I only have a little bit of money and I want to run away and not be found. I ride the bus and I am going to run away this way I need doing these. But I have a younger brother but he does not live with me. I need help doing these can you give me some more ideas.is there a way to go that I will not get caught doing?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing some of what you are going through. We are sorry to hear you are having a rough time right now. We'd like to help but we need a few more details to see how we can do that. The best way for us to help would be for you to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWY (786-2929) or chat with us via our website: www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and anonymous and totally willing to help in whatever way we can. You don't have to face this alone. We are here for you and look forward to your call.

All the best,
      NRS

I've been having a hard time being stuck in the house with my mom and stuff but we have gotten in to a couple of fight and she has told me to leave and I'm trying to run away but I have no to go I'm from Tennessee and there's not a very big opinion

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

I'm 13 and my parents absolutely hate anything and everything I do and say. I want to escape from their harsh words and be able to do things together with someone who acually cares about me.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

It sounds like things have been tough between you and your parents, and we're sorry to hear that. Feeling like your parents hate everything you do and say can't feel good, and it's understandable that you're having a hard time with it. Sometimes it can be helpful to try and have a conversation to address how we're feeling and why we're feeling that way. While it can be really intimidating to do, you might find that it's helpful in working through some of the issues that you're having with your parents.

Another way to approach putting everything out and the table and talking about it is to utilize the help of someone you know and trust, like a family member or a family friend, to help sort of a mediate a conversation between you and your parents. This is also something that a therapist or a social worker can help with. By bringing in a neutral party (someone who has nothing to do with what's going on), you might be able to have tough conversations with one another while still feeling supported because that additional person is present. If things get a little bumpy, they can also help steer the conversation in the right direction.

If you want to chat in more detail about what's going on at home, explore your options, or maybe even be connected to a therapist for support, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Im a very yung age but ive been wanting to run away not just because a little fight with my mom and dad because I want to be free and just feel free when i know its bad but my brain just doesn't stop thinking of it. My friend lives in a bad house she doesnt like it there it was my idea to run with her and she agreed but we are timed on this we were thinking bout in a month we run but I love my mom and dad. She doesnt and hers dont love her they make her feel sad and sometimes mine to but if i do run then I will soon miss my hugs from my friends and family and I will so regret it. I was thinking of running and then a little while i will go back but I'm going to be scared what will happen if i do go back. Will I be taken away from my family will I be sent to juvenile. I dont know what will happen but my friend has it all pland out. Im scared to tell her that maybe we shouldnt do it even though it was my idea. But also i want to. I was thinking of getting minutes on my phone getting my moms phone number and texting her that im ok and all that. But im still thinking of it becasue I dont know about it yet. I read some stuff what will happen if you run away and now im starting to thing "wait ya no im not running away" so many poeple reported of sexual assaults and rapes and i dont want that to happen but I was thinking of bringing wepoans so I can use them with my friend and stay a little more safe. I just want to be free sometimes.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there, and thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step.

It sounds like you're having a bit of an internal battle where you can't decide what the best decision to make for yourself is. It's great that you recognized you might a little support in working through that. Leaving home is a pretty big decision, and the younger you are, the longer it will affect you. That, in itself, is something worth thinking about. Having a plan is always a good idea, so it's important to think about where you'll go, how you'll get there, and what you'll do to survive once you're there. You also mentioned having some concerns around some of the things that could happen when living on the streets, and it's definitely a good idea to be aware of them. While we can't predict the what might happen, you are certainly deemed more vulnerable and at risk when living as a young person on the streets. It's also good to know ahead of time that shelters are generally considered temporary options, and many of them do not accept young people under the age of 13. Some shelters also have rules in place that require you to let your parents know where you are, and sometimes require parental consent to let you stay there after a certain amount of time.

Those feelings of wanting to be free are totally normal and understandable. As we get older, we start to crave a certain level of independence. Because you're questioning running away and it seems like you might not be having some of the same issues at home as your friend, it might be worth spending some time thinking about what independence looks like for you, and how you and your parents can work together to ensure you have the room to grow. A lot of times, we can earn more "freedom" at home by showing our parents that we're capable of making good decisions, and that they can trust us. If you're unsure of where to start, having a conversation with them about how you've been feeling could be a good place.

If you'd like to chat in more detail about what's going on, how you're feeling, or explore some of your options with us here at NRS, please feel free to reach out directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live on our website at www.1800runaway.org. You can also pass along our info to your friend--it sounds like she could use someone to talk to as well. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care,

NRS

I just turned 18 in February. There was some things going on at home but I was doing someone’s hair and my mom called me and told me I can’t come back to her house which is where I stayed. She told me I had to call and stay with my dad. I decided not to call him and he went to my friends houses and banged on their doors asking for me but I wasn’t there. I woke up this morning and my ma text me a long paragraph and said that he was filing a missing persons report on me. Will I be okay? Do I have to worry about police trying to come and get me? I am somewhere safe. I have food and clothes and a bed to sleep in. And also have transportation when I need it

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting NRS,
      We appreciate you sharing with us a little about what is going on at home. We are very sorry your parents have been that way with you. It seems as though home is not a healthy place for you to be and to go back would worsen things for you. From what you were describing it seems like your parents are trying to file you as a missing person. This means that the cops would be looking for you however when they find you all they can really do is ask if you are okay. Since you are 18 you are considered an adult and therefore can do as you like. If the cops were to find you, you simply would let them know that you are safe where you are and would like to keep your information secret from your parents. You can explain to the police the situation with your parents and explain that you do not feel safe disclosing any information to them other than you are safe. Another way of getting ahead of the situation is calling in to the police station or going to the station yourself and letting the police know that you are okay. If you were to do this the police would then close the missing persons report. The only way a different outcome can occur is if you have a permanent guardian or someone has power of attorney over you. If this is the case then most likely they would bring you home. However because you are 18 that is unlikely.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Be safe,

NRS

I am 15 and i want to runaway for a little while and come back. If i come back will i be sent to juvenile or will i have probation? are there any punishments at all?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

i’m 17, i’m working, graduated from highschool, and have the option to move in with some friends paying rent etc. My mother is verbally abusive to me and I can no longer put up with it, I’ve tried talking the way I feel towards her and she blindsides it all to get angry at me. She’s beyond overprotective and forces me into situations to stay home without working by threatening to revoke my license or take away my car. I live in Tennessee and intend on keeping contact with my mother once as well as letting them know where i’ll be staying. I’ve disconnected myself from her in secret by purchasing a phone plan as well as a bank account separated from hers. If the police come, can I refuse to be taken home and furthermore fight for emancipation if they do not let me stay for when I turn 18? I do not want to go into juvy nor stay at my mom’s house or anyone else’s aside from this friend. Please get back to me soon!

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline! We are always here to listen and to help in any way we can. We are sorry that your mother is giving you a hard time at home. It sounds like you’ve already taken several steps to take care of yourself and make sure that you are safe, and it is brave of you to reach out for help.

While we are not legal experts, generally speaking, the legal age of majority is 18. This means that until the age of 18, you are legally required to live at home unless you have your parents’ permission to leave. If you were to leave home without your parents’ permission they could file a runaway report. If they file a runaway report and the police were to find you, they could return you back to your parents. If you have more specific questions for the police, you can call your non-emergency local police station to inquire about this. It is important that you know that running away is not a crime, it is a status offense. What this means is that you will not be in trouble with the police or have any kind of criminal record if you were to run away and then be picked up by an officer and brought home. Police are obligated to take you back home if there is a runaway report made for you, but you would not be arrested.

One way you might not need to get your parents’ permission is if you become an emancipated minor- this could be an option, but filing for emancipation can be a lengthy, expensive process that you will likely need a lawyer for. Even then, it’s not guaranteed that it will be granted, and in some states, you must still have your parents’ permission. If you would like more information or resources, feel free to call or chat with us.

Please know that if you find yourself looking for a place to stay, we have a database of shelter and transitional housing resources, shelters we could refer you to, and job counselors by regions that we could help put you in contact with.

We hope this information has been helpful to you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) at any time, or via our online chat any time day or night to talk and explore options. We are always here.

Best of luck!
      NRS

13 in Jefferson County, my parents or my siblings dont support me for who i am an i really want to run away will they get in trouble if i do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It takes great courage to reach out for help, and we are glad that you have decided to reach out to us. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.

In response to your question, your parents will not be in trouble, but in regards to running away, since you are considered a minor, if you do runaway your parents can contact the local police department and file a runaway report. When you are found you can possibly be returned to your parents or be sent to a youth detention center. Keep in mind if you are found with an older adult, he/she can get in trouble with law enforcement for harboring a minor.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available to you 24/7 to listen and to provide support through this challenging time.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Best of luck!

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X