No announcement yet.

Can I leave my home as a 14 year old boy in Texas

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I leave my home as a 14 year old boy in Texas

    I was moved to my dad's house because my mom had meth in her when she gave birth and all kids were removed I went to my dad's and at first he acted nice but 4 years later when we argue about if I would be able to go somewhere he trys to fight me and throws me in to walls or if we get into an argument he choke slames me and blames everything on me like why my mom hates him but I was wondering if I could leave and go to my grandparents witch I lived with for 9 peaceful years but when I tell my dad I want to leave he takes my phone and will not let me log me my room and use anything that they bought

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We know it takes a lot of courage to reach out and we want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You would have the right to report the abuse that you are facing at home. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at (1-800-422-4453) or may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made. There could also be the possibility of having custody transferred over to your grandparents if you report the abuse.

    We are not legal experts, but because you are a minor, if you leave you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for your grandparents or whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. If you want help walking through child abuse reporting or identifying other adults, like another family member or school counselor, who could advocate for you, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929. We're here to listen. Here to help.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      i’m planning on running away also. Can police see deleted messeges? I texted my friend that i’m staying with, and i’m freaking the ******** out.


      • ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you are really scared thinking about going to stay with a friend when running away. There is definitely a lot to consider and it can be a scary thing! We are glad you reached out for help. That shows a lot of bravery.
        We are not legal experts, but usually police cannot get access to messages or anything like that unless you have committed a crime and they go to court to get permission to look through your phone.
        Your parents can, however, file a runaway report with police if you leave without permission. It is not a crime to runaway but if the police find you, they usually take you back home. 18 is the legal age in most states when you can leave without permission.

        We are here 24/7 if you would like to talk further about your situation! Call us anytime 1-800-786-2929 or live chat on our website when it is available! Best of luck!!! We are here to support you!
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif