Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help

Hi, I am 16 years old, and have been suicidal for 5 years. My home life is horrible. My dad died when I was 10, and a year later my mom got remarried to the most horrid person. He hates me, and tries to make me miserable. He doesn't let me have friends over or go anywhere, he mentally and verbally abuses me and my mother. I'm going to leave home and move further up state (I live in Arkansas) and get my GED and attend college this fall. I've been planning to leave for 3 years, and I've finally been pushed over the edge. If I don't do something soon, I feel like I could do something drastic. What do I do to leave? I'm moving in with my best friend, and her older sister. one of the girls is 19, and the other, 22. I plan on leaving in the next week or 2. How can I prepare, and keep my friends from getting in trouble?

Re: Please help

Thank you so much for writing in and sharing with us some of what you have been dealing with. It sounds like you are dealing with an extremely difficult situation and that you have been going through this for some time now. You mentioned that a lot of the problems seem to stem back to problems at home. You said that your dad died several years ago and the man your mother remarried has been absolutely horrible. Were you close with your father? How have you dealt with the situation of your dad’s passing? No one should have to deal with any kind of abuse especially in there own home. You mentioned that your mom’s new husband is extremely emotionally abusive to both you and your mom. Do you and your mom ever talk about the situation at home? Does she know how you are feeling and what you are going through right now?

One of the first things you mentioned was that you have been suicidal for the past 5 years. Are you currently feeling suicidal? Have you ever attempted suicide before? Does anyone in your family or any of your friends know that you are feeling this way? We are sorry to here that you are dealing with so many difficult feelings right now. You should be very proud of yourself for being able to open up about these situations because that is not always easy to do. Now if you ever are having suicidal feelings and need to speak with someone you can always call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK or give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

The second thing you mentioned was that you are planning on running away. What do you think your mom would do if she found out that you had runaway? Do you think she would call the police and make a runaway report? It’s good that you have a safe place you can go if you do decide to runaway. You mentioned that you are planning on going to live with your friends. Do you have a plan of how you are going to get up there? Do you think your mom would know where you had gone? You mentioned that you want to get your GED and go to college. Are you going to wait until you are 18 to do those things? It is a possibility that if you want to do so before then they may need a parent’s permission or signature. Do you think there is anything that would help to make living at home bearable? We are not here to tell you what you should or should not do. You are the one that knows your situation best and in the end it is going to be your decision on what to do. The good thing is that you are really trying to think about the situation and figure out how to be safe and what you really want to do. Just so you know if you ever need to talk more about your situation you can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are a completely confidential hotline and there is someone here 24 hours a day to listen. If you need to vent, talk about options, or even need resources you can always give us a call. In the meantime stay safe and take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

yes, I have attempted suicide a few times, and was hospitalized the second time. I don't think my mom would call the cops if I ran, because she knows I'm miserable and I've told her multiple times about my plans to leave soon. She said if I think it's the right decision, then I should go.

Comment

Hey,

So if your mom won't call the cops, what is your proposed plan? You are still young and there are a lot of dangers out there, even if you know the people you are staying with. What do you think you will be doing when/if you leave home?

Do you have family or really trustworthy/responsible friends you can stay with?

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I'm moving to Jonesboro, Staying with my friends and working at a store to help pay rent and groceries. I'm at the top of my class and have been all through high school. I'll get my GED and talk to the college advisor. I've done that already, and they said my reasons were fine, and it won't hinder their decision in accepting me into the college. I'll attend the college this fall and get my MA in Teaching. I want to be an elementary art teacher.

Comment

Hello,

Sounds like a pretty ambitious and thorough plan. A lot of people seem to be involved with this. Since you think mom won't file a runaway report, do you think it might be safe to make sure she won't file it by sitting down and talking out this plan? This is a very responsible plan, is there any reason why she wouldn't support this? Because if your mom did file a report, the people that are aiding and hosuing you could get into some legal trouble.

-NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
            x
            x
            Working...
            X