No announcement yet.

Can I move out at 17 in Ohio?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son is 17 in a half be 18 in 5 months he wants to move in with his sister who is 20 can he do that?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us at NRS. First, keep in mind we are not legal experts. We can, however, tell you what we have heard. If you give permission for your son to move out before turning 18, this normally would not be a problem. If you do not want your son to move out before 18 and he does so, you have the right to file a runaway report with the local police or through the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678.

We hope this information is useful. If you would like to talk to us further about the situation, please call us anytime. Our 24 hour confidential hotline number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also chat with us via the chat feature found at the top of our website: www.1800runaway.org. Please also feel free to share our contact info with your son if he'd like to talk about the matter.

All the best,
      NRS

I'm turning 17 in 5 months and my home is complicated and i feel isolated and controlled I don't feel like a child there I'm used and bossed around constantly basically a maid around the house i just want my own space and freedom

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like a challenging situation in your home, and we can definitely understand wanting to change that, or have some autonomy. We are not legal experts, but we do know that in most cases, if you were to leave home before turning 18, your parents would be able to file a runaway report, and police could bring you back home. Also, there is a chance that anyone you sheltered with could face legal charges.

We hope this information is helpful. If you would like to discuss this further, you can always reach us directly at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat. Good luck to you.

So I'm 17 and I turn 18 in 36 more days and my parents kicked me out so can my parents make me come back if I don't want to. And my parents kicked me out a month before my birthday so can they tell me what I can and can't do

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like you have been in a tough spot. Reaching out for more information was very resourceful and a great first step to getting any support that you may need.

While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on your situation. 18 is usually the age you are able to leave home without permission and choose where you live. Even though your parents kicked you out, they are able report you as a runaway. If your parents report you as a runaway to the police, they can ask police to return you home if they know where you are staying. We know this can be a frustrating answer to hear especially since it seems you have found a safe place to stay in the meantime. Because you are so close to turning 18, there is a possibility that police would not pursue your case at all. In the event that they do, you are able to explain the circumstances causing you to leave home. They may allow you to stay where you are currently as long as it is safe. However, this is not a guarantee as police response can vary by state, county, and even individual officer.

If you would like to talk more about your situation, please do not hesitate to reach out directly by phone or live chat. 1-800-RUNAWAY; 1800runaway.org

Be safe,
      NRS

hello. my boyfriend of 14 wants to move out and live with me i.e. his gf. my mom would help out as much as she can and he will get a job and pay for things and live at my house witch is a safe environment and he will wait till 16. but his parents would definitely not approve. any advice? or suggestions?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS, we hope to help as best we can. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents’ permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your boyfriend’s parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway youth to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

I am 17 and turn 18 in 4 months. My mom kicked me out and told me she wants me out of the house. She said she 100% supports me moving in with my 19 year old boyfriend. Can she change her mind?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thanks for reaching out and sharing some of your situation with us. Sounds like you are wanting to be certain that you are making the right choice here, and that something is causing you to feel a little hesitant about jumping into making this change. Let’s explore a couple parts of this.

Since you are a minor, your mom cannot legally kick you out. If you want to live with her, and she’s not allowing it, you can file an abuse report (because refusing to provide housing for your minor child is neglect). We can walk you through the process of filing this report, if you’re interested.

If you do decide to move in with your boyfriend, your mom could definitely still change her mind about it and ask you to return home up until the day you turn 18. It seems like you might suspect that she will change her mind, or maybe there is a reason why you aren’t fully convinced that this is a safe idea.

You are always welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or have a live chat through our website (https://www.1800runaway.org), where we can more fully discuss the exact details of what you’re going through. We wish you the very best; please reach out if you’d like to talk.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X