Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 moving across state lines

I heard since I’ll be 17 I’d be filed as a runaway but it’s a random chance the police don’t detain me. I’m planning on moving out of my home to finish my senior year in high school elsewhere. I live in missouri with my parents and all of my family lives in Nebraska, including my aunt who offered me a place to stay. I’m not in danger and I’m not being threatened but I would very much like to move out to Nebraska (family, friends, college are reasons) I’ll be attending Nebraska college and figure living there would help both acceptance and tuition rates a lot. Also my school life would be way better there in terms of grades and opportunities. Any advice/ things I should know? I’m planning on asking me parents permission to move but don’t fully expect that to work out

Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and explaining your situation. So its sounds like things are okay at home but can see an opportunity in another state. We aren’t legal experts, but we can say that sometimes we hear that police sometimes don’t either take or pursue a runaway report at 17. One way to check this information is to call into your local non-emergency line and ask someone directly who can answer the protocols for 17 year old runaways.
    It sounds like you have a safe place to go to and do have a plan and purpose for where you are going. Since you are asking your parents for permission first, if it doesn’t go well, we do offer a service called conference calling where we could mediate a conversation with your parents either before or after you decided to leave to be able to support you in having a productive conversation where you can express your needs.
    We are here for you and will support you in anyway that we can. Please feel free to call into us directly as we can talk further about your situation and find resources that are best for you in your area. Stay strong and you are not alone in this! Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY we are open 24/7.
    -NRS
    We hope this response was helpful! We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X