•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    replied
    Re: want to get away from it all...

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are glad that you decided to think about what running about might be like before acting on your impulse. Deciding whether or not to runaway is a big decision so its great that you are taking the time to think things through.

You wrote that you are feeling really trapped at home and you want to escape from it. Are you able to tell us a little bit more about what it is like for you at home? You say you love your mom, but it sounds like something is making home unbearable for you. What is going on? What have you tried already to ease the situation?

From your post, it sound like you are pretty set in running away. How long have you been planning on leaving home? What do you think running away will accomplish? What is your plan?

You asked whether or not running away is illegal. We are not legal experts here and so we may not be aware of all of the different laws from state to state or even county to county, but to our knowledge running away isn’t illegal. That means, that it isn’t something that you would get necessarily arrested for. But, your mom could list you as a runaway with the police. This means that the police would be able to pick you up. Depending on their procedures, the police may hold you in detention, bring you to a shelter, or call your mom, and/or bring you home.

You also asked where you would stay if you did choose to stay. What are your thoughts on this? Sometimes youth couch-surf and stay with various family and friends and other times youth go to a runaway shelter. There are pros and cons to both of these options. If you stay with another family, they could possibly be charged with “harboring a runaway”. But, if you go to a shelter, they will probably call your mom and let her know that you are there (unless there is abuse in the home, at which point they may call CPS instead). How does this sound?

Lastly, you asked us if you could go out of state. What exactly do you mean? Are you asking if the legality of running away is different if you travel out of state? We aren’t aware of anything like this, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You may want to keep in mind though that if you do travel out of state and then need help, it may be harder to find the help you are looking for away from your family and friends. Furthermore, traveling out of state may be a violation of parole.

Given this information, what are you thinking you might do? If you want to talk more about this, give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7 and we are confidential and anonymous.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic want to get away from it all...

want to get away from it all...

im 15 and i really want to run away. im adopted with only my mom and i never knew my dad...i love my mom...its just that sometimes i feel so trapped...and i want to escape all of it...the only questions i have before i run would be
    1. is it illegal?
    2. where would i stay?
    3. could i go out of state?

i mean...i would go back to her...i just need time to be alone...
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X