It’s Complicated.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s Complicated.

Okay... I need help. My girlfriend is 17. She lives in an extremely abusive home. (Verbal, emotional & physical perhaps even sexual) her parents are extremely controlling. It is easy for them to hide because they are upper-middle class & members of a church.Since she has shown signs of standing up for herself, her father has made her quit her job & will not allow her to spend anytime with friends or actually do anything outside their house. Her parents constantly threaten to kick her out. The first time she tried to leave, they stripped her down exclaiming, “You cannot leave without clothes on.” Her father pinned her down while her mother hit her. The second time, her parents held her & called the police. When the police arrived, she tried to tell them about the abuse & neglect but the officers simply told her “Just hush up & obey your parents.”
    Her Father has taken off her bedroom door, they do not allow her to bathe for more than 5 minutes, and they follow her around everywhere. Her parents have threatened to press charges against me although I’m not exactly sure what for.. can they?
    She told me that next time they do something unacceptable, she’s leaving. She turns 18 in 6 months. Will the police pursue her? What amount of trouble will I get in for “harboring” her? Is there some foundation or organization that can help her out? Financial options? There is so much more to this, her parents are evil & psychotic. How “hard” will the police try? Her father will be utterly persistent. I’m terrified of what he will do to her should they catch her & take her home. In addition to all of this.. her parents have told a vast amount of people (including law enforcement) that it is I who is controlling & abusive... will the cops believe this & think I’m making her run away? Will this make them “try harder”? I understand this is a lot but I need answers. I need help. Thank you.

Hello,
    Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think
    Thank you, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X