•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We recognize and understand your concerns for your granddaughter's health and well-being. Please know that we are not law experts, but it is to our general understanding that your granddaughter being 18 means she is now a legal adult and options regarding what you can do may be quite limited. You can certainly reach out to your local police department for questions like this or please feel welcome to reach out to our online chat portal, found on our website at www.1800runaway.org or give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We could look up any potential support resources for you.

Kind regards,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My 18 year old granddaughter ran away from home. She has a serious health issue that she’s on seizure meds for. I believe I know where she’s at and it’s not a good place at all. But with her being 18 is there anything I can do? I’m worried sick.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation. Leaving can be a big decision to make, but it is totally understandable you would want to leave home if you are not getting the support that you need. It is not okay for anyone to be emotionally abusive toward you and you deserve to feel safe.

The first way to leave home would be with permission from your parents. We know this can be incredibly challenging and not always possible. Perhaps there is another family member, counselor, or adult that you trust that can help you talk with your parents to communicate your needs. Another option would be to go through child protective services if your safety is a concern. This does not guarantee you would be removed from the home immediately but it could start a process with that outcome. If you would like to learn more about this and what the reporting process might look like for you, you can speak with an advocate at the National Child Abuse Hotline, www.childhelp.org. The last option would be to pursue emancipation. This can be a lengthy and difficult process. Most states require that you are able to show a judge that you can live independently and financially support yourself. We are happy to connect you with legal aid resources so that you can speak with a lawyer about the specific process.

If you decide that you need to leave without permission from your parents, they can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can have police return you home if they know where you are staying.

We truly want to be a support for you as you decide on your next steps. We are available 24/7 to listen and help as much as possible. Please do not hesitate to reach out again by phone or chat if you would like to talk more in-depth about your situation and explore your options. You can contact us by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or use our live chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to hearing from you soon so that we can provide support and resources,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 16 years old and stay in st.louis Missouri and I don't get treated right I get verbally abused by my family I'm locked in my house I don't get to leave i struggling with depression anxiety and suicidal thoughts my mother doesn't help me with any of it and I'm 1 month pregnant my baby's father said I can stay with him but I don't want any trouble how can I get away from home without any problems

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's been going on. It sounds like you care a lot about your friend and her well being and it's awesome that you are advocating for her. Safety is our top priority here at NRS and you did mention that there may be some abuse at home. If you or your friend are in any type of immediate danger we urge you to call 911 immediately. If any abuse or neglect is happening your friend has the right to report it. She can get more info on abuse reporting by going to childhelp.org.

It's very smart to think ahead about your friend staying with you. If her parents were to file a runaway report and if she were to be found at your house, your parents could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how her parents view the situation.

If you or your friend would like to go over what’s going on in depth, or she’d like to explore other options that you may have available to her, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you and your friend in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    so me and my friends are both 12 and she’s thinking about running away. She says her parents are abusive, for example if she doesn’t go to sleep on time (around 10 or 11) they force her too take melatonin. she’s thinking about running away and i offered her to stay with me but since we’re both minors my parents could get in legal trouble for harboring a run away. I don’t know what to do because i want to help her but I also don’t want my parents to get in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
    We are not legal experts so it may be hard to tell you what exactly would happen. But in some cases the police may just bring you back home again. In other cases if it is a second offense they may have you join a juvenile program to help prevent you from running away. Or some police may get social services involved to see what services they can provide for you.
    We are here for you 24/7 to listen and provide support. If you would like to talk more about your situation or would like to explore options please give us a call.
    NRS

Guest replied
    i ran away before and the cops tracked me. if i run away again and they get me what can happen.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I am a 13 year old girl and I have been stressed out for a while I have Anxiety and depression and I I have been cutting my self for 2 years and I honestly just need a break from this house I feel like no one cares about me my mom is supposed to get a layer and get custody of me but idk when that is gonna happen and I really need a break sometimes I tell my self maybe if I killed myself it will all be better and I wanna run away sometimes

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot to reach out for help and we’re glad you did—it sounds like you’re going through a tough time right now. Your parents don’t like your boyfriend and you feel like you’re letting them down. You’re dealing with self-harm, anxiety, and weight issues. You want to visit your boyfriend to get away for a while. You said you want a break from everything and that’s totally understandable. It sounds like there’s a lot going on and it’s stressful. You’re not alone. We’re here to help and listen.
    You mention that you’re dealing with some self-harm issues, but that your boyfriend is a good source of support. It’s good that you’re using him as a resource when you feel like cutting. If you ever need additional support when you feel like self-harming, you can call the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) to talk over anything on your mind. Their number is 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.
    You said that you want to ride your bike to your boyfriend’s house, and that he lives 70 miles away. That’s a long distance, and it could be unsafe for you to ride for that long without anyone accompanying you. Also, it’s likely that if you encounter the cops again during your trip, they’ll take you back home again. If you’ve never ridden that long before, it could be a very difficult distance to cover, and the conditions could be dangerous.
    You said you want a break from all the stress. It could be helpful to have a conversation with your parents and explain where you’re coming from, and share how stressed you are. If you want someone to help with that conversation, we provide a conference service here at NRS where you and your parents can talk productively about everything on your mind. If that seems like it could help, feel free to give us a call.
    If you want to explore more options or just talk through what’s on your mind, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re here 24/7 to listen and support you in any way we can.
    Stay Safe,
    NR

Guest replied
    Aye, I'm 12 and I'm really sorry to bother you. I have a few issues in life that ain't the best right now. I have a 15 year old boyfriend that my family hates because of his age. They don't even know his name, and I rarely get to see him. I have an ex girlfriend and she is trying to take me back and it stresses me out. I want to leave my home town and ride my bike to my boyfriend's place. I don't make the smartest choices either my ex girlfriend is kinda a player. I also self-harm but I haven't done in awhile because I love my boyfriend so much I stoped. Every once and a while I will do a few cuts but that's it. I know people have worse problems than me. My dad thinks I'm going to get pregnant and thinks I'm some kind of hoe. Me and my boyfriend don't want sex till we are out of school because we don't want to risk it. My mom says she don't hate him but every time I talk about him I can see the disappoinmet in her eyes. I feel I have let everyone down. But I have tried running away before but the cops sent me home my parents don't know yet. I have anxiety and depression I also have weight issues. I want to leave to my boyfriend to forget my life or visit him and take a brake from reality. I'm sorry once again I don't have the worst life I just want a brake from life it stresses me out but the bike ride is 70 miles from me on a bike and will take 6 hours to get there but I think it would be worth it in the end. Sorry bye.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Hi, Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and aren’t able to answer you specific question, but as to your brother having guardianship, if there was no time limit on the document, you are correct in assuming a legal fight is in store. If she does run away, he has the right, as her guardian, to have the police return her home. Perhaps, thinking strategically, requesting a hearing before your daughter runs away and asking the judge to hear her preference may be a less chaotic way to resolve this.
    You can search for Legal Aid and your city to see if there is an attorney who can help you. You can also call Team HOPE for support for yourself during this difficult time. Team HOPE can be reached at 1-866-305-4673 or www.missingkids.org/teamhope We wish you the best for you and your family.
    Sincerely, NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I'm a very worried mother of a 13 year old beautiful little girl and I got locked up for a short while and long story short my brother had to take her for awhile which I willing signed guardianship to him for a short while and now in October there is a review coming for me to get her back and probably with a fight on my hands against my brother. Now with that being said she wants to come home now and talks about running away to me, now I'm out of all the past thing's and in no more trouble. If she does run off and comes to me, Can I keep her and set an emergency hearing and get to keep her till then?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X