Moving out at 16

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out at 16

I’m 16 and I live in Oklahoma. My parents are extremely controlling and my father is mentally and emotionally abusive. I’m on both antidepressants and anxiety meds and my father believes that it’s my fault for having bad mental health. I’m not allowed out of the house very often to do anything social. Both of my parents work from home and I do online schooling, but I am forced to leave the house by 9:00 every morning to go to the library. There, I am not allowed to leave. My dad will show up to make sure I am there. If I am allowed to go out and do something social my dad always shows up to make sure I’m where I said I am and who I’m with. He goes through all of my things, including my car. Recently they took away all of my medications. Which is extremely dangerous with my panic attacks, and with the fact that I have lupus and have been extremely sick. I want to move out of the house. I have a good job, a car, and a place to go. But I’m scared that they will file a runaway report or file charges against the person I’m going to be living with. Any ideas?

Reply: Moving out at 16

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We are sorry to hear about your situation. It can be difficult enough trying to cope with an illness without having interference from your father. It is not your fault that you are battling with these issues. To the contrary it sounds like you are fighting hard to live a balanced life. Good for you. Sometimes talking about a situation can be one way of coming up with some ideas on how to try and bring about positive change.

You might consider a consultation between your physician and your father to go over the importance of taking your medication.

Running away in all probability could result in legal trouble for anyone aiding or harboring you.
    You are welcome to contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or 1800Runaway.org (Live chat) to continue discussing your situation and explore some options.

NRS is here to help and here to listen.
    We are her to be supportive in your time of need.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X