No announcement yet.

Running Away

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running Away

    I'm 16, from California, not on probation, cannot live with any family but my father, rarely get to see my mother and sister.. Also boyfriend. I am very unhappy and have ran away once three years ago, I don't know what to do, I deal with verbal abuse at least 2x a week , in 2014 I had a journal for 6months recording all arguments, I'm so confused, I have no freedom, my father is over protective, is there anything I can do besides run away? & if I do run.. When I'm 18yrs old can I come out of hiding? Can law enforcement check your messages on social media and cell phone? Also can the cops get your cell phone conversations?? Like listen to them? II hate my life here, I don't want to get into it to much.. But just know im not being a whiney teenager, I have legitimate depression caused from this asshole I live with and am to scared to ask to go to the doctor for help.. We have no medical insurance. I need glasses and a s*** ton of work done on my teeth but he's to busy at the bar almost every night until 630-9..

  • #2
    Re: Running Away

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

    We’re sorry you’re feeling so depressed about your living situation. You deserve a healthy and productive living environment and it sounds like yours is anything but. It seems like not only is your father keeping you from the social interaction that you crave but also isn’t around enough to really take care of your needs at home. Again, we’re so sorry you’re going through this.

    You pose a couple key questions around getting out of your situation. You’re smart to ask these given you’re 16. We aren’t legal experts, but 18 is the age of majority in most states making you still a minor. From what you shared, it sounds like your dad is your legal guardian and he has a right to involve law enforcement if you are missing or he fears your safety is compromised. With regards to your specific questions about phone records and social media tracking we cannot fully answer because a) we’re not legal experts and b) a lot of those records law enforcement can receive are on a case-by-case basis and your local city/state laws dictate that.

    Unfortunately for your situation, your father has these rights for another two years unless you want to file for legal emancipation of switch guardianship solely to your mother. If you’d like to reach out to us directly either by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or using our Live Chat, we can discuss more details about these options.

    In the meantime, it might help to think about what small steps you can make from today until the day you turn 18 to make yourself happier. We understand it can be frustrating to feel so little control of the big decisions until you’re 18 – where you can go, who you can see, etc. We’re not downplaying that frustration and we hope you don’t feel like a whiny teenager. That is really tough. But is there something new in your life that can add more color and positivity to it – a group at school? A book club? A sports group? As difficult as things are, it might help to think about choices you can make in your life that aren’t affected by your father and focus on those until the rest of your life opens up when you turn 18.

    We care about your safety and happiness. And are available to talk further should you decide to reach out directly. Please know we aren’t here to judge you and are here to work with you to figure out your options. Hopefully this gives you a start and best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp