No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I am 17 and I have a son
    Can I legally move out from my parents house and move in with my boyfriend?(baby's dad. ) can my parents force me to move back in?

re: .

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a complicated living situation right now, and we're happy to help you figure out your options.

We are not legal experts, but I can tell you that rules about moving out at age 17 vary greatly from state to state. It also depends on whether or not you have your parents permission to move. If your parents do not file a runaway report with the police, there would be no reason that the police would contact you simply for moving. However, if your parents do contact the police, you will have some different questions to think about. Your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police if you decide to leave home without their permission. The police might search for you and might force you back home. The reason that your parents have the right to do that is because they are legally responsible for what happens to you until you turn 18. In the same way that you are legally responsible for your child until they turn 18, your parents are responsible for you until you turn 18.

It is important to make sure that you are moving to a situation that is going to be positive for both you and your son. We would be happy to talk to you about your specific situation, and ways that we can help you figure out how to improve your living situation. Please give us a call at 1-800-Runaway and we can talk.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X