No announcement yet.

Getting ID

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting ID

    We live in Nebraska, her mother is very abusive and beats up on her, her step father is the same with sexual abuse on top of it. The police won't do anything because she is listed as a troubled teen with repeat offenses and social services can't seen to prove anything. I've talked her into going home before but the situation always turns out badly for her. We don't believe her mother an step father are actively looking for her this time, but she wants a job to support herself but her mother has all legal documentation for her to get an ID and would demand her to come home if she tried to get it which she feels is not an option for her safety.

    Are their other ways to obtain this without having to contact her mother? Would we risk her being caught if she tried to get these documents?

  • #2
    Thank you for writing to us. We have read over your post and have found another posting that we think you might be able to get some use out of.
    If you have any follow up questions please feel free to give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
    Originally posted by ccsmod8 View Post
    Re: how to get birth certificate without id


    Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are pleased to hear that you are trying to get your documents together to advance yourself. We imagine it can be a hassle to get work or do other important things without proper documentation. It sounds like there is urgency for the paperwork to work out but there is a likelihood that requesting these documents from the appropriate locale may take some time. May we ask the reason for needing your documents? Do you have parents?

    Is there a chance that you could contact your parents for this sort of information? It sometimes comes down to your age range and whether your parents can keep this sort of information from you. We can always point you in the direction of legal resources if you desire to find out your rights and what measures you can take to secure what is yours. One agency you can call is Justice for Children at 1800-733-0059. This agency is known to help develop and implement a full range of solutions to enhance the quality of life for children.

    Have you heard of the Social Security Administration? By calling 1-800-772-1213, you can use their automated telephone services to get recorded information and conduct some business 24 hours a day. If you are trying to sort out the your social security card info, this is one way of doing it or you can go online at to look into the matter. You can access online forms and get directions to solving some of these life questions you are asking.

    The birth certificate issue is more a matter of calling the local state departments. Going online to, if you have internet access, to use this valuable tool, will mean first determining the state or area where you were born, then click on that state or area. The Center for Disease Control can be reached at 1-800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) 24 Hours/Every Day. This agency is specific to figuring where you were born and how you can access your vital records.

    There are guidelines to follow to ensure an accurate response to your request. The federal government does not distribute certificates, files, or indexes with identifying information for vital records. However, applications for these records can be obtained through the U.S. State Department. Accessing an ID would mean first getting your birth certificate or social security number. The next step is seeking out your local Department of Motor Vehicles to apply for an identification card.

    We here how frustrating it must feel to be stuck but we want to help where we can. You are not alone. We are here for you to reach out to us directly in person, 24 hours a day, at 1800RUNAWAY. We are confidential and anonymous. We are a federally designated communication, crisis line for youth in crisis. We hope you are safe. Our number one concern is your safety. We wish you to all the best in hopes that things begin to fall into place for you. Good luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove