No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 😁

    I'm 16 years old, I'll be 17 in October. Last year I left my mothers home and came to stay with my sister. I'm not sure if they still have me in the system as a run away because I was on probation at the time I left, but I've been gone for an year now and have had a few run ins with the law where I gave them my name and nothing came up. I'm not really hiding but it's better for me here. A fees start, and no trouble . I've been back home numerous times, but it never works out. My mother has all of my records ; birth certificate, social security card, and all types of identification. I've made an effort to text her and ask for my records but I've gotten no reply. I have to get back into school because this is my senior year and I have a job waiting on me I just need a ID. I have to have a birth certificate in order to get a Id and a ID to get a birth certificate. I know my SSN but they'll need a card or something for clarification. I'm not sure how to get another birth certificate without an ID ... Or ID without a birth certificate. That's the only thing stopping me from going to school. Is there anything you could do to help or any suggestions you may have for me to get any of my records another way ?

  • #2
    Re: 😁

    Hello there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you feel there are some barriers to you getting enrolled and back into school. It's great that you are looking to finish school, and we have some resources that may be helpful for you. Under the McKinney Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, you are legally allowed to enroll in school. Every school generally has a homeless education liaison or school social worker that you can go speak to and seek further guidance as far as getting enrolled without a guardian. For more information about how this law applies to runaway minors go to:

    Each school district is required to have a liasion. For information and to find your state coordinators go to: Here you can find your state and contact information.

    If you would like to talk more about what you're going through and if we can provide any assistance in gathering more information or would like other resources, please reach out by phone or chat. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and chat is accessible through our website

    We hope this helps and wish you luck! We look forward to your call or chat soon!

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I'm 16 years old and I'm not currently living with my father, although he has custody of me. I'm living with a family friend. He has been homeless but recently started living in a travel trailer. He wants me to come live with him. I've talked to DCF and my school counselor and no one has helped me. Our family has had many DCF cases open. I was Baker Acted for self harm because of the way he makes me feel. I don't feel safe with him and I want to stay with who I'm living with now. What can I do?


      • ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us. We are very sorry to hear about everything you’ve been going through. You don’t deserve it and you deserve to to be helped when you reach out for it.

        You have tried to talk to DCF and your school counselor and they weren’t able to help. Think about if there are any other adults at school you can talk about this who can help -- perhaps the Principal or Vice-Principal?

        Also, I wanted to share another hotline you can always call report abuse -- the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-422-4453. They are trained to talk to youth like you in tough situations and can help you report your abuse and concerns so they are acted on by DCF.

        These are just a few ideas to consider. It takes some courage to reach out to us and we hope this information and been helpful for you during this tough time. If you would like to talk through this anymore, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp