Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legal questions about running away

im 17 im on probation my boyfriend is 19 and well i want to leave Ive had runaway charges in the past i just got home in April from a 6 month stay in rehab and i just Ive told my family this place isn't helping me but no wants to help me in anyway. i told my probation officer and my mentor that i want to move and they just ignore it and just tell me what i should do or whatever. i know that my boyfriend can get a good job i know the things he can do and i can get a job i have a place to go i just was wondering what would happen to me would they just stop looking for me after I turn 18 which is in June of 2016? could i still get sent to jail? i have everything planned with him i just am trying to see the possibilities... and there is a possibility that i could be pregnant....

RE: legal questions about running away.

Hey there -
    Thank you so much for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve got a lot going on right now and we hope that we can help you the best that we can today.

We’re not legal experts but we can try and speak in general terms of what running away would legally implicate. If you are over the age of 18, or considered an adult, runaway reports and charges would no longer be effective. Further, if you were to leave home under the age of majority in your area while a report was made out for you, it would be considered a status offense and you would have to be returned home upon being found by the police or authority figures.

Given that every case is different in nature and not all cases are carried out the same, it is difficult for us to answer your questions confidently. Being on probation or parole for a previous offense can complicate or change some of the general legal information given earlier. If you’d like more specific legal advice or information, we’d be more than happy to provide you with some potential resources in your area that you could contact.

If you are concerned about your potential pregnancy or would like to consider speaking to an options counselor, calling Planned Parenthood’s hot-line number could help you begin some of those things. They can be contacted at 1(800)-230-7526.
    We hope that some of this may be helpful. We understand that there’s a lot happening in your life right now and we can’t even imagine how tough this all must be. If you’d like to talk more or explore potential resources, please don’t hesitate to call 1(800)RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Thank you so much and take care.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X