Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I able to move out at the age of 17 in the state of Ohio?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I able to move out at the age of 17 in the state of Ohio?

Recently my parents have been packing to move to KY and I turn 18 in September which is only about 3 months away is it possible to move out and live with a friend/boyfriend. In the state of Ohio. Also I mght be pregnant so I'm just trying my best to stay here in Ohio.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

It sounds like you are in a hard situation and are unsure of where to turn. You mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through other ideas or identify other options you might have with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

We also have a conference call service here where a liner could mediate a conversation between you and your parents to keep it safe and fair. We could help you have that conversation about asking to stay in Ohio or to talk about your pregnancy if you are nervous to do so. Let us know how we can best help.

Good luck,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 05-03-2018, 12:55 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X