No announcement yet.

Legally wanting to runaway to paternal grandmothers

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Legally wanting to runaway to paternal grandmothers

    ok, so im 14 about to be 15 and I live in Louisiana and I was wondering if there was any way it would be legal to be able to live with my grandmother. my parents are verbally and emotionally abusive and im tired of being treated like a slave. I need love from my family and just want to be feel wanted but I only feel that when im at my grandmothers. I just need advice because im ready to get out of there.

  • #2
    Re: Legally wanting to runaway to paternal grandmothers

    Hey there, Thank you so much for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry that you are facing so much and we’re incredibly grateful you’ve allowed us the opportunity to help you the best we can. From what it sounds like, it seems as if you are currently dealing with a lot of emotionally negative influences at home with your parents and are seriously considering moving in with your grandparents. We aren’t legal experts, but we can speak in general terms of what could happen or how you could move in with them “legally”. Generally speaking, if you were to leave home without your parent’s consent, they have the right to make a runaway report. This would likely be a status offense and means that if you were to be found by an officer or other legal authority figure, you are obligated to return home. You would not necessarily get charged with anything or get arrested.

    If you are concerned about your parents making a report (or requiring you to return home by law), it may be useful to consider other possible ways you could live with your grandmother without you having to return home. Some things to consider are understanding how it could be possible to live with your grandmother with consent. This may involve exploring the ways you could facilitate a conversation with your parents that could potentially help them allow you to live with your grandmother. If you haven't already, having your grandmother attempt to communicate to your parents could be an option. Sometimes having a relative intervene somehow could be useful as well. The last way that you could legally move in with your grandmother is if guardianship were somehow transferred to her. For this to happen, a case would have to opened and would have to be approved for guardianship to be removed from your parents. Cases like this don’t always go the way we’d like and can take longer than we’d like. Sometimes guardianship can also be transferred to other relatives that weren’t our first choice. We hope that some of this information has helped, we know that it must be a lot to consider right now. If you would like to talk more, or receive resources for legal aid or shelters, please don’t hesitate to call or chat with us.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif