17 wanting to move out in Nebraska

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 wanting to move out in Nebraska

I want to move out because the stress of my mom and my stepdads fighting and the way they treat me causes me to be unable to function properly in other areas of life. They are not abusive though and aren't really doing anything illegal. I have a job & have been working since age 15 so I am very responsible. I'm also concerned as to how my child support is being spent because I buy everything for myself. What can I do?

re: 17 wanting to move out in Nebraska

Hi there, thank you reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems that you are dealing with a lot at home right now, which could be overwhelming. From what you shared with us, it seems that things are a difficult with mom and stepdad. Perhaps you can consider talking to them about how you feel. Here at NRS, we offer a conference calling service where you would be able to initiate a conversation between you and your mom to try and talk about what is going on at home and see if there is a way that a compromise could be met. We could help mediate that conversation. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication and see what is the best way that you can come to a compromise. If this is something that you might want to look into, please feel free to reach out to us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

You mentioned wanting to move out of home, which is an option that you could explore with your parent’s permission. Generally, by being under the age of majority, any type of alternative living arrangement which allows you to live outside of your home would need your parent’s permission. We are not legal experts, and whether you could legally move out of home without permission at 17 years old depends on the laws that apply to your state. One option you have is to call your local law enforcement department and just ask hypothetically how they may handle this. You do not have to give identifying information to do this. If you would like assistance, you can call us and we can make a call out with you or on your behalf.

We want you to know that you do have options. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here to listen, here to help. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our live chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod13; 09-07-2015, 03:08 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X