No announcement yet.

Run away from Iowa to Wisconsin at 17 legal rights?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Run away from Iowa to Wisconsin at 17 legal rights?

    I have run away once. There's a lot of emotional abuse here and I ran away to Wisconsin and had a safe place to stay and I planned to finish highschool. I was up there for 2 weeks and was lined up for a job that paid $11 an hour starting. I wasn't even 17 yet. However, 2 days until I turned 17 my father (who I didnt live with due to the fact he was on meth) came up to Wisconsin with his wife who hates me. They beat beat up and shoved me in the car and I escaped shortly after. The person who was providing me a place to stay called the cops. Several eye witnesses told them what had happened. My father and his wife do not have liscences and one of them should have went to jail for driving without one according to the cops. The cops called my mom and asked if she wanted me home but didnt tell her my dad and his wife had abused me. She said yes. The cops told me first I could go with my father or to juvie. I said juvie and they said I couldn't actually do that. I had to go back with them and the whole way home they were threatening me. My father and his wife fought so when we got back to her home town she told him he could walk home (to another town). My other parents lived in his wife's home town as well so I went there. Since then my Mother and stepfather have been emotionally abusing me. She wanted me put in a mental institution because apparently I was crazy for running away. Thats what she keeps telling people anyways. My father told everyone I was into 3 ways. He was mad that I moved out. My mom took me to a therapist who thinks i have high anxiety due to the emotional abuse from my parents.3No one really takes emotional abuse seriously so its impossible for me to get emancipated when my parents wont consent. Being here in Iowa stresses me out. Living here makes it worse. Being around my parents makes me sick to my stomach. They act like its a burden to have me around but wont let me leave. If I runaway to another state can they legally take me back? (I dont think it was completely legal last time) I'm 17 and can work and I would have a safe place to stay with food water and shelter. I would finish highschool as well. Is this possible? Please help?

  • #2
    Re: Run away from Iowa to Wisconsin at 17 legal rights?

    Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp