Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Desperate to leave ASAP!

I'm a 15 year old sophomore in High School. I have a lot of problems with my mom and its gotten to a point were I can't stand being in my house anymore. My mom constantly uses me to babysit my sisters, asks me sometimes to buy things cause "she doesn't have money", and is the type of mother who chooses a man over her kids. I've seen my mom in and out of relationships since I was 7 and there's always a new man. My mother and I don't have a relationship, like she chooses what her husband says over me any day. My moms husband isn't the safest to be around. He is a very bad influence and I can't stand him because he disrespects me and my mom let's him. I've had many family members tell me to move out of that house. The longer I stay, the crazier I feel. I live in Connecticut. I have a family member willing to shelter me and support me if I move out. I have a job with them and a place to call home that I love. My question is what can I do to move out at 16? What processes do I go through? How can that family member help? What if my mom won't let me go? I live a very unstable life and it comes down to the fact that I'm not happy here at all.

Re: I'm Desperate to leave ASAP!

Hi there,

We’re glad you reached out. It sounds like the situation with your mom is very difficult and it’s important that you feel safe at home.

We’re not legal experts, but we know that running away from home is not illegal. If you choose to leave home, it works best if you have permission from your mom to live wherever you decide to go. Getting her permission is important so any adults (18 years and older) that you go live with (even other family members) don’t get in legal trouble for “harboring a minor/ runaway”.
    If you cannot get permission from your mom, perhaps your family member can encourage your mom to let you live with her/him. It’s great that your family member is willing to support you. It sounds like it could be a good situation that you’d be happy with.

Other ideas if you cannot get mom’s permission would be looking for a youth shelter near you. These shelters are only for youth. They can provide you with a temporary place to live and can help you talk with your mom about your goal of moving out. If you call us, we can help you find a youth shelter near you.

If none of these options seem to be a good fit, figuring out how to be a home in a safe way can help. Think about how you can avoid interacting with your mom and her husband – being at home the least amount possible, staying in your room, etc. Also think about doing activities that make you happy and keep you calm – listening to music, playing sports, reading, hanging out with friends.

If you’d like to talk through these or other options, give us a call 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Good luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

can dad help?

Thanks for the advice. I don't live with my dad but can I get permission from him to move out? He's always said that he wants to gain custody of me. Its gone to a point that when I even do the activities that I love that make me happy anymore. I'm not happy anymore and I'm trying to look for more options.

Comment

Can dad Help?

Hello,

You are welcome.

We appreciate you getting back to us and we hope that you continue to look for positive options in dealing with your situation.

Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X