No announcement yet.

17 and stuck in another country HELP ME

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and stuck in another country HELP ME

    I am a United States of American citizen from Houston Texas, my family brought me out to Brisbane Australia. I want to go back but when I told them I got yelled at very very intensly while calling me names (Ex: Ungrateful little sh*t) and they told me that I couldn't, they also said my passport was going to be hidden from me. Unfortunately the nearest U.S. Embassy is in Sydney Australia (About an 11 hour DRIVE) and I don't even have a car.. I have my Texas License and I am VERY motivated to do whatever it takes to get back to home. I'm so low on options it's unreal. Please please please help me!!! I'm desperate to get away.. I already have close trustworthy people that are willing to let me live with them in my hometown. And if needed I am also a male, 17 y/o, and quite tall.

  • #2
    re: 17 and stuck in another country HELP ME

    Hi. Thank you for reaching out the National Runaway Hotline. It seems that you are going through a lot at home right now. You don’t deserve to be called names or insulted in any way. We are glad that you reached out to us and will help as best as we can.

    It sounds that you are unhappy at home and are considering leaving. It seems that you have close and trustworthy people back in Texas that are being supportive by offering a safe place for you to stay. This can be an option you can explore if your parents give consent for you to live with them. Now, we are not legal experts and are not certain about international laws in Australia. We can, however, speak generally about laws in the United States, but will not be able to confirm if Australia honors the same laws. Generally, if you leave home without permission, your parents have a right to file a runaway report, at which point police may seek you, bring you back home if found, and charge anyone you stayed with under the harboring laws. Again, we cannot confirm or deny if Australia follows the same procedures. One option that you have is to contact your local police department in Australia and ask about the way they handle situations similar to yours.

    You also mentioned that you may not have access to your passport and that the U.S. Embassy is a long drive. Another option you may have is to contact the U.S. Embassy in Australia and explore the options available to you in this case. You can find the contact information to your nearest location by accessing the U.S. Embassy webpage at

    If you would like to talk further and explore more options, please feel free to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also email us or chat with us through our website We wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp