Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply: I'm 17 years old right now

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have been doing an extraordinary job in school and at home. You do not deserve the threats being made by your parents.
    We understand that this must be a shock to you.

We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You show some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Sometimes you might come up with ideas and options by talking things out.
    We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-06-2019, 12:34 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi Im 16 Nd my momma kicked me out i live in Chicago IL and I’m tryna get into a foster home.What should I do??

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It's not OK for your mom to have kicked you out and can be considered neglect as she is required to provide you with necessities (like shelter). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance by going to someplace like a police station or a hospital immediately. You can contact the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services at 800-252-2873 to report this/and to get help with information about being placed in foster care. You can also contact us directly and we can help you file a report.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

I'm 17 my mom has kicked me out before but let me come back she keeps threatening to kick me out again is there some program or something thatbut could help me get my own place?

Comment

• ccsmod8
        ccsmod8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there –

Thank you so much for reach out to us on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you through your difficult time, there are others going through the same thing that will find this post helpful. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. No one deserves to be treated that way at all. Just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect/abandonment) to child protective service in your state. You have rights too. A parent can’t legally kick out a minor without being charged with child abandonment. So that is also an option for you if you choose to go that route.

As far as places that you might be able to go, if you can go to a friend’s or another relative’s house you can always explore going to a local youth shelter or TLP program within a shelter. So what TLP does is it offers a comprehensive services to young people between the ages of 14 to 24 who are unstably housed or experiencing homelessness at their current time. They provide tools that youth need to thrive. Things like stable housing, employment and education opportunities, primary and mental health care, lasting connections with caring adults, and/or the skills to live a healthy and independent life. You can look at this link to find out more about that (https://www.acf.hhs.gov/fysb/resource/tlp-fact-sheet). If you want to see what’s in your area you can call out to us here on our 24 hour crisis line to get more information.

Hope that this information is helpful!
        Best of luck.

I am 17 and I have just been kicked out of my house by my mom. This happened just 10 minutes ago. She is not giving me any of my stuff even the stuff I bought myself. I need help on what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Because you are still considered a minor they have every right to withhold stuff from you since they are your guardian. As far as finding shelter we do provide resources to help with that if you any assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe, NRS

I am a 17 year old girl. I am the oldest of three other siblings. My dad is in prison so it’s just my mom. The last few years she’s kind of given up and left all the responsibilities onto me. I’ve raise my 4 year old brother and my 13 year old brother relies on me. I have to pay for our clothes, food, and necessities. When she gets mad, she takes it all out on me for “trying to be the mom” and kicks me out of the house for a few weeks. Tonight we got into a fight and she kicked me out and told me not to come back. She wouldn’t let me grab clothes or anything. I grabbed my phone and left. I can’t leave my brothers alone with her. She wouldn’t let me take them with me. I don’t know what to do because my brothers aren’t really getting taken care of. The 4 year old cant cook or do most things himself and needs me. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,
        Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension between you and your mom. It's not fair that you have to be the provider and caregiver to your household. It sounds really overwhelming to be tasked with such responsibilities at such a young age.

From what you've described about your mom's failure to provide food and necessities (in addition to her failure to provide you shelter by kicking you out) it sounds like there is neglect going on, which you have a right to report. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If you feel like neglect reporting is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. It may also be a good idea to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
        NRS

I am 17 years old in Missouri. My mom kicked me out of the house after countless mental abuse and a little bit of physical. I complied and wanted to move out of the house. I'm at a friend's place that is willing to let me live with them. Now my mom wants me to come back home and if I won't she will call the cops and possibly file runaway. I don't wan't to go back and I don't want to cause my friend major problems. What should I do in this situation?

Comment

• ccsmod2
        ccsmod2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through something very difficult at home with your mom, and you’ve found a friend who is willing to take you in. Your mom has now changed her mind, but after all that has happened between you and her you’d rather stay with your friend but also don’t want to cause any legal problems for your friend.

We are not legal experts here at NRS, here are some legal “rules of thumb.” At the age of 17 in Missouri, you can not LEGALLY leave home and live somewhere else without your parent’s permission. You need to be 18 to have this legal right.

If your mom chooses to do this, she may file a Runaway Report with the police. If the police find you, they will bring you back to your mom. It is not illegal for you to be living with a friend -- it’s just a status offense. While “legally,” your friend or friend’s family could be charged with the crime harboring a runaway, this isn’t likely. It’s also illegal for your mom to have kicked you out of home in the first place. So these are things to think about as your mom threatens to call the police.

Here are some other things to think about:
        As you get closer to 18 years old, the police may be less likely to take any action if your mom reports you as a runaway. This is a gray area. If you want to find out more about how police may respond to your mom filing a runaway report, you should feel free to contact your local police department by phone or by visiting them. Tip: If you want to keep this confidential, don’t give them your name.

Think about what proof you may have of mental abuse or physical abuse -- such as photos or videos. This may be helpful to have in case your mom does call the police and they talk to you and it becomes about each of you telling your side of the story.

Think about if you can talk to your mom and have her agree that you living with your friend is best for both of you. If it’s possible to have this conversation and resolve this peacefully that’d be great. It’s worth thinking about why she’s asking you back -- maybe she’s worried about getting in trouble with law enforcement.

Thank you again for reaching out to us and we hope this information has been helpful. If you’d like to discuss this anymore or chat more about what’s going on at home,, please don’t hesitate to call us at the National Runaway Safeline. You can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Hey my parents wants to kick me out I'm only 17 got no job no money He said I should find a place n a job until Sunday but that's impossible for me I've been looking for a job for the past 2 months not had any luck with that .. My parents are leaving to go to another country as I don't want to go they planning to kick me out on the streets refuse to give r me anything... Plus I don't Have an ID I need help any advice what shall I do ? I'm really loosing hope

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. You deserve to feel loved and respected at home, and please know that the treatment that you are enduring is not acceptable.
        Though we are not legal experts, we are here to help you explore your options moving forward. In most states you are considered a minor at 17. If so, your parents have an obligation to take care of you. Resources like ours (1-800-RUNAWAY) and Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline, 1-800-422-4453 – www.childhelp.org) can help you explore your options. Another potential resource is 211. 211 is a service offered by the United Way and can help connect you with resources in your area.
        Our primary concern is that you stay safe and off the street. If you find yourself on the street you can contact National Safe Place (www.nationalsafeplace.org or text SAFE and your location to 44357. They will direct you to the nearest safe place location and can help you to find additional resources.
        Another potential option is to reach out to a trusted adult, though some adults, including school personnel. They could support you and help you figure out a plan to find an alternative living arrangement. We can also offer conference calls with resources to help you through the process.
        Finally, you can always reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk on a confidential basis and help you find resources that can be helpful to you.
        We wish you the best of luck!
        NRS

Hey my girl friend got kicked out by her mom and she is just 17 I was wondering if I could go get her with out getting in trouble

Comment

i’m 17 i got kicked out of my house and i want to move to another state because i have no where to go in idaho. will i be on trouble with the law?

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello There,
          Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. We want you to know that being kicked out of your home as a minor is considered neglect. You can make a report by contacting your local police or by calling The Child Helpline at 1800-422-4453.
          If you do decide to move to another state if you were kicked out you may not get in trouble. Sometimes even if you were kicked out your legal guardian still may choose to file a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. Sometimes the police do not take a runaway report if you are close to being 18 but it depends on each police department.
          We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS

Hi I live in Florida and my mom kicked me out last night and I’m only 17 I work a part time job 4 days a week from 4-11 and I go to school if she wants me back home do I have to go even thought she kicked me out

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          We are sorry your mom kicked you out. She actually had no right to do that. It sounds like you're considering not coming back if she asks you to. Technically, you are under your guardian's care until you are 18, so if you don't come back your mom could file a runaway report. That means you could be detained by police until they release you to her. Running away isn't a crime, but it is a status offense. However, anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor.

We'd like to help you figure out what's the best course for you. The best way we can do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We're here 24/7 and are confidential. We also have a chat option on our website's main page. We hope to hear from you!

Stay safe,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X