17 and got kicked out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply: I'm 17 years old right now

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you have been doing an extraordinary job in school and at home. You do not deserve the threats being made by your parents.
    We understand that this must be a shock to you.

We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You show some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Sometimes you might come up with ideas and options by talking things out.
    We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 04-06-2019, 12:34 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi Im 16 Nd my momma kicked me out i live in Chicago IL and I’m tryna get into a foster home.What should I do??

Comment

• ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It's not OK for your mom to have kicked you out and can be considered neglect as she is required to provide you with necessities (like shelter). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance by going to someplace like a police station or a hospital immediately. You can contact the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services at 800-252-2873 to report this/and to get help with information about being placed in foster care. You can also contact us directly and we can help you file a report.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

I'm 17 my mom has kicked me out before but let me come back she keeps threatening to kick me out again is there some program or something thatbut could help me get my own place?

Comment

• ccsmod8
        ccsmod8 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there –

Thank you so much for reach out to us on our public forum. Hopefully by helping you through your difficult time, there are others going through the same thing that will find this post helpful. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. No one deserves to be treated that way at all. Just know that you always have the right to report any abuse (physical, mental, sexual, or neglect/abandonment) to child protective service in your state. You have rights too. A parent can’t legally kick out a minor without being charged with child abandonment. So that is also an option for you if you choose to go that route.

As far as places that you might be able to go, if you can go to a friend’s or another relative’s house you can always explore going to a local youth shelter or TLP program within a shelter. So what TLP does is it offers a comprehensive services to young people between the ages of 14 to 24 who are unstably housed or experiencing homelessness at their current time. They provide tools that youth need to thrive. Things like stable housing, employment and education opportunities, primary and mental health care, lasting connections with caring adults, and/or the skills to live a healthy and independent life. You can look at this link to find out more about that (https://www.acf.hhs.gov/fysb/resource/tlp-fact-sheet). If you want to see what’s in your area you can call out to us here on our 24 hour crisis line to get more information.

Hope that this information is helpful!
        Best of luck.

I am 17 and I have just been kicked out of my house by my mom. This happened just 10 minutes ago. She is not giving me any of my stuff even the stuff I bought myself. I need help on what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod9
        ccsmod9 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Because you are still considered a minor they have every right to withhold stuff from you since they are your guardian. As far as finding shelter we do provide resources to help with that if you any assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        We hope to hear from you soon.
        Be safe, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X