No announcement yet.

Moving to another state

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving to another state

    I’m 16 years old right now but I want to move out when I’m 18 to another school in fact to other state. I currently live in Texas and when I turn 18 I want to move to Oregon and finish the rest of my senior year in the school I grew up in before I had to move. Is there a way that I could make that happen and if yes then how would I go about making this huge move possible at only 18 years old without my parents consent or help?

  • #2
    Reply: Moving to another state

    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

    When thinking about transferring schools you might consider speaking with a guidance counselor or school admission administrator.

    If you would like to talk more about your situation please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or (Live chat).

    Take care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif