16 in florida

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 in florida

I'm 16 and I'm pretty mcuh ready to get out away form my family. My mom and dad have dicorced for over a decade now. My mom is constantly critisizing me and compares me t other children, she insults me in front of people in public, she blames me for everything that hse does or my siblings do. She is constantly threatening me and is constantly saying she is going to leave one day without anyone knowing. My dad lives in new york and has no knowledge of the real situatoin. My mom only tells him partial of the truth and thows in lies. She has used me to get money out of him for her own goods. She constnatly keeps in the house. Whenever I ask to do somethung with firends, such as going to the skate park to hang out, the first thing she says is take my siblings. So, I stopped asking her to go places with my friends. Now, she yells at me for notn doing anything with friends and that I need to go places with friends, so i told her that i would if she didnt make my siblings go everywhere with me. I have a little brother who is 11 and a little sister who is 9. They dont listne to me and whenever they do somethung im the blame for it. My mom i does nothung but talk trash about everybofy and then gets mad when she gets caught up in her bs. My stepdad is the same way with insulting me. They call me retarded, idiotic, and they even use profound language towards me and call me things tht i done even knwo what they are. I have had multiple dreams of me running away and leaving. I cant even tell anybody because they will instnatly tell other people; then my mom will find out. There is nothing i cna really do i live in a small town. I dont know what to do anymore. Nay adivce or suggestions?

Hey there,

It sounds like you have been going through a very difficult time, and it must feel very hopeless to deal with a parent who you feel like is not treating you fairly. It makes sense that you would want to get away from that unstable situation. No one deserves to be called names and be threatened. Thank you for reaching out, we know it is not always an easy thing to do, but it shows that you are thinking through all of your options.

We are not legal experts here, but we can give you some general information about your situation. Until you turn 18 or the legal age of majority in your state, your parents/legal guardians are required to take care of you and provide you shelter. If you were to run away, they would most likely file a runaway report which would mean that if the police found you they would bring you home, but it would not go on any permanent records and would be considered a status offense, like breaking curfew. One option that you could consider is talking to your dad and telling him about what is going on and seeing if he has any ideas as to what you could do. Another thing you could try is talking to a school counselor and telling them what is going on at home and they might be able to help you figure out a plan of how to cope with this. If you do not feel comfortable with those options, you could give us a call and we would be more than happy to brainstorm other ideas with you.

Again, it shows how responsible you are for reaching out to us, and we hope that you are able to figure out a plan of how to deal with this really difficult situation. If you decide to call us, we are here 24/7 and our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best of Luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X